Hyperaccumulation of nickel by Geissois species
- 56 Downloads
Herbarium specimens of 17 species of Geissois were analysed for nickel, cobalt, chromium and iron with a view to discovering further hyperaccumulators of nickel (>1000 μg/g on a dry mass basis) in addition to the previously recordedG. pruinosa. A further six hyperaccumulators were discovered, all from New Caledonia. Unlike 90% of hyperaccumulators, Geissois is in Subclass Rosidae of the Magnioliate which it shares with three other hyperaccumulators (two species ofArgophyllum andPearsonia metallifera. The work highlights the remarkable concentration of hyperaccumulators in New Caledonia.
Key wordsAccumulation Chromium Cobalt Hyperaccumulates Iron Nickel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brooks, R. R. 1974 Geobotany and Biogeochemistry in Mineral Exploration, Harper Row, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Brooks, R. R. et al. 1957 J. Geochem. Explor.7, 49–57.Google Scholar
- 3.Brooks, R. R.et al. (in press).Google Scholar
- 4.Cronquist, A. 1968 The Evolution and Classification of Flowering Plants, Houghton Mifflin, Boston.Google Scholar
- 5.Jaffré, T. and Schmid, M. 1974 Compt. Rend. Acad. Sci. Paris. Sér. D.278, 1727–1730.Google Scholar
- 6.Jaffré, T. et al. 1976 Science193, 579–580.Google Scholar
- 7.Jaffré, T. (in press).Google Scholar
- 8.Wild, H. 1974 Kirkia9, 233–241.Google Scholar