The impact of morphological features on the prognosis of patients suffering from breast cancer
A group of 156 patients suffering from breast cancer with axillary metastases was studied for connections between the morphological structure of the tumor and the spreading of the disease on the one hand and duration of remission on the other hand. The statistical analysis shows that the summary WHO-grading proves to be the most indicative prognostic factor next to the number of affected lymph nodes and tumor size. Definition of a prognostic index from these factors leads to a more precise prognostical distinction of the collective.
Key wordsBreast cancer Morphological features Grading Prognostic index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Black MM, Opler SR, Speer FD (1955) Survival in Breast cancer cases in relation to the structure of the primary tumor and regional lymph nodes. Surg Gynecol Obstet 100:543–551Google Scholar
- Bloom HJG, Richardson WW (1957) Histological grading and prognosis in Breast cancer (a study of 1409 cases of which 359 have been followed for 15 years). Br J Cancer 11:359–377Google Scholar
- Delides GS, Garas G, Georganli G, Jiortziotis D, Lecca J, Liva Th, Elemenoglou J (1982) Intralaboratory Variations in the Grading of Breast Carcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med 106:126–128Google Scholar
- Dixon WJ, Brown MB (1982) Biomedical Computer Programs. University of California Press, Berkeley Los Angeles LondonGoogle Scholar
- Elston CW, Gresham GA, Rao GS, Zebro T, Haybittle JL, Houghton J, Kearney G (1982) The cancer research campaign (King's/Cambridge) trial early breast cancer: clinico-pathological aspects. Br J Cancer 45:655–669Google Scholar
- Fisher ER, Gregorio RM, Fisher B (1975) The Pathology of invasive breast cancer. Cancer 36:1–85Google Scholar
- Fisher ER, Redmond C, Fisher B (1980) Histological grading of breast cancer. Pathol Annu 15:239–251Google Scholar
- Goldhirsch A, Gelber R (1985) Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- Greenough RB (1925) Varying degrees of malignancy in cancer of the breast. J Cancer Res 9: 453–463Google Scholar
- Hansemann D von (1892) Über die Anaplasie der Geschwulstzellen und die asymmetrische Mitose. Virchows Arch [A] 129:436–449Google Scholar
- Haybittle JL, Blamey RW, Elston CW et al (1982) A prognostic index in primary breast cancer. Br J Cancer 45:361–366Google Scholar
- Patey DH, Scarff RW (1928) The position of histology in the prognosis carcinoma of the breast. Lancet 1:801–804Google Scholar