Statistical estimates of the parameters of non-linear long internal waves off the South Crimea in the Black Sea
- 33 Downloads
Hydrological data covering the South Crimea test area are used to calculate the mean profile of the variable Brunt-Väisälä frequency and the coefficients of the Korteweg-de Vries equation for internal waves at each station. Charts showing internal wave velocity isolines, non-linearity and dispersion parameters, and sea depth have been constructed. The average Brunt-Väisälä frequency profile has been used to calculate the Urcel parameter for internal waves, and non-linear properties of the internal waves observed have been assessed.
KeywordsClimate Change Wave Velocity Environmental Physic Statistical Estimate Internal Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blatov, A. S., Ivanov, V. A. and Rossov, V. V. Physico-chemical peculiarities of wave processes in the Black Sea. In:Formation and Interannual Variability of the Black Sea Hydrophysical and Chemical Fields. Sevastopol: MHI (1988), pp. 51–59.Google Scholar
- 2.Rostov, I. D., Gladyshev, S. V. and Novotryasov, V. V. Estimation of possible values of internal wave parameters and different types of stratification of the North-West Pacific Ocean.Morsk. Gidrofiz. Zh. (1988) No. 4, 59–61.Google Scholar
- 3.Ostrovsky, L. A. and Stepanyants, Yu. A. Solitary internal waves in the ocean: theory andin situ observations. In:Methods of Hydrophysical Investigations. Gorky: Inst. Appl. Phys. (1987), pp. 18–47.Google Scholar
- 4.Apel, J. R., Holbrook, J. R. and Liu, A. K. The Sulu Sea internal soliton experiment.J. Phys. Oceanogr. (1985)15, 1625–1651.Google Scholar
- 5.Nagovitsyn, A. P. and Pelinovsky, E. N. Observations of solitary internal waves in the coastal area of the Sea of Okhotsk.Meteorol. Gidrol. (1988) No. 4, 121–126.Google Scholar
- 6.Nagovitsyn, A. P., Pelinovsky, E. N. and Stepanyants, Yu. A. Observation and analysis of solitary internal waves in the coastal area of the Sea of Okhotsk.Sov. J. Phys. Oceanogr. (1991)2, 65–70.Google Scholar
- 7.Nikolaenko, E. G., Pelinovsky, E. N. and Talipova, T. G. Mean profiles of the Brunt-Väisälä frequency and their variations in non-tidal seas during the spring-summer, hydrological season. In:Hydrological and Chemical Research of the Black Sea, Sevastopol: MHI (1992), pp. 80–91.Google Scholar
- 8.Mitropolsky, Yu. Z.Dynamics of Internal Gravity Waves in the Ocean. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.Pelinovsky, E. N.Non-linear Dynamics of Tsunami Waves. Gorky: Inst. Appl. Phys. (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.Serebryanny, A. N. Non-linear effects in shelf internal waves.Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana (1990)26, 285–293.Google Scholar
- 11.Vasilinenko, N. I. Manifestation of internal waves on the sea surface covered with a surface-active film.Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR (1989)307, 1235–1238.Google Scholar