Proper movement of a current meter mounted on a suspended drift station
- 11 Downloads
In situ observations of the movement of a current meter attached to a long cable system of a drifting research vessel are discussed. A method is suggested which allows the cable configuration to be restored using measurement data on tangent orientation with respect to the given points. The compiled data indicate that the elements of the cable system shift by dozens of metres with a speed of the order of tens of cm per second. These shifts account for about 90% of the estimated value of current velocity energy pulsations in the frequency band corresponding to the proper frequency oscillations of the current meter and of the vessel's roll and-and-pitch motions.
KeywordsClimate Change Frequency Band Measurement Data Energy Pulsation Environmental Physic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kushnir, V. M. and Remchukov, V. I. Oscillations of current meters mounted on self-contained buoy stations and their influence upon current parameter measurements.Okeanologia (1982)22, 329–336.Google Scholar
- 2.Remchukov, V. I. The influence of the current meter's distribution on the observations.Okeanologia (1984)24, 165–169.Google Scholar
- 3.Remchukov, V. I. Determination of the transport parameters of hydrophysical instruments.Automation of the Research in Seas and Oceans. Sevastopol: MHI, Akad. Nauk Ukr. SSR (1981), pp. 90–95.Google Scholar
- 4.Cooper, L. H. N. Vertical and horizontal movement in the ocean.Oceanography. Washington, D. C.: Horn-Shafer (1961), pp. 599–621.Google Scholar
- 5.Sabinin, K. D. On the problem of errors in thermometric depth determination.Okeanologia (1972)12, 338–342.Google Scholar
- 6.Gorban', V. A., Saltanov, N. V. and Khristenko, A. A. About the forced oscillations of flexible cables in flows.Hydromekhanika (1978)38, 113–118.Google Scholar
- 7.Kutepov, V. S. and Popov, E. I. The perturbation acceleration background in gravimetric observations carried out aboard surface vessels.Marine Gyro-Stabilized Gravimeter. Moscow: Nauka (1972), pp. 138–150.Google Scholar
- 8.Kushnir, V. M. and Remchukov, V. I. Statistical characteristics of current meter oscillations under various conditions and estimation of possible errors in current velocity measurements.Okeanologia (1984)24, 532–538.Google Scholar