Seasonal course of theT, S-characteristics in the north-eastern Tropical Atlantic
- 8 Downloads
The problem of the seasonal variations of temperature and salinity in the intermediate zone located between the West African and the Gulf of Guinea upwellings is considered. The vertical distribution of the phase-amplitude characteristics of the annual and semi-annual variations is examined in good detail and their parameters are defined from the monthly means using the least-squares fit technique. The contribution of isopycnic advection to the formation of seasonal thermohaline variations is studied.
KeywordsClimate Change Seasonal Variation Advection Vertical Distribution Environmental Physic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adamec, D. and O'Brien, J. J. The seasonal upwelling in the Gulf of Guinea due to remote forcing.J. Phys. Oceanogr. (1978)8, 1050–1060.Google Scholar
- 2.Bulgakov, N. P., Polonsky, A. B. and Popov, Yu. I. Variability of the temperature field off the north-western coast of Africa.Int. Symp. Upw. W. Afr., Inst. Inv. Pesq. Barcelona (1985)1, 79–92.Google Scholar
- 3.Houghton, R. W. and Colin, C. Thermal structure along 4° W in the Gulf of Guinea during 1983–84.J. Geophys. Res. (1986)91, 11727–11739.Google Scholar
- 4.Merle, J., Fieux, M. and Hisard P. Annual signal and interannual anomalies of sea-surface temperatures in the eastern equatorial Atlantic ocean.Deep-Sea Res. (1979) GATE, Suppl. H,26, 77–102.Google Scholar
- 5.Moore, D. W., Hisard, P. and McCreary, J. P. Equatorial adjustment in the eastern Atlantic.Geophys. Res. Lett. (1978) No. 5, 637–640.Google Scholar
- 6.Philander, S. G. H. Variability of tropical oceans.Dyn. Atm. Oceans (1979)3, 191–208.Google Scholar
- 7.Philander, S. G. H. and Pacanowski, R. C. A. Model of the seasonal cycle in the Tropical Atlantic Ocean.J. Geophys. Res. (1986)91, 14192–14206.Google Scholar