Proteins and amino acids of some local varieties of rice seeds (Oryza Sativa L.)
- 86 Downloads
Proteins and amino acids in four local rice (Oryza Sativa L.) varieties were identified. Albumin and globulin were extracted from rice seeds, and the major promoters of these proteins were investigated by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis to show their patterns.
Amino acid composition of the rice seed were determined quantitatively and qualitatively, and classified according to their acidic, basic and uncharged polar groups.
Essential amino acids for each variety were determined, and the hydrophobicity index value of Amber 33 was (0.6078), Mishkhab 1 (0.63372), Hybrid 2 (0.6523) and Hwazawi (0.7411).
Key wordsrice PAGE amino acid composition hydrophobicity index value
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bradford, M.M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analyical Biochemistry. 72: 248–254.Google Scholar
- 2.Cagampang, G.B., Cruz, L.J., Espiritu, S.G., Santiago, R.G., Juliano, B.O. 1966. Studies on the extraction and composition of rice proteins. Cereal Chemistry 43(2): 145–155.Google Scholar
- 3.Cagampang, G.B., Perdon, A.A., Juliano, B.O. 1976. Changes in salt-soluble proteins of rice during grain development. Phytochemistry 15: 1425–1429.Google Scholar
- 4.Cooke, R.J. 1984. The Characterisation and identification of crop cultivars by electrophoresis. Electrophoresis 5: 59–72.Google Scholar
- 5.Cooke, R.J., Cliff, E.M. 1984. The characterisation of oat cultivars by electrophoresis. J. Natn. Inst. Agic. Bot. 16: 415–429.Google Scholar
- 6.Cooke, R.J. 1986. Gel electrophoresis: a role in agriculture. Anal. Electrophoresis: 203–217.Google Scholar
- 7.Gooderham, K. 1987.In situ peptide mapping of proteins and polypeptides separated by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. Science Tools 34(1): 4–8.Google Scholar
- 8.Guo, Y.J., Bishop, R., Ferhnstrom, H., Yu, G.Z., Lian, Y.N., Huang, S.D. 1986. Classification of Chinese rice varieties by electrofocusing. Cereal Chem. 63(1): 1–3.Google Scholar
- 9.Hamza, M.A., Stegemann, H., Shehata, A.E. 1988. Protein in various legume seeds: Electrophoretic comparison after optimized extraction. Food Chemistry 28: 117–127.Google Scholar
- 10.Hussein, K.R.F., Stegemann, H. 1978. Comparison of proteins from wheat kernels by various electrophoretic methods in polyacrylamide. Z. Acker- Und Pflanzenbau 146: 68–78.Google Scholar
- 11.Kapse, S.S., Nerkar, Y.S. 1985. Polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis of soluble seed proteins in relation to cultivar identification in cotton. Seed Sci. and Technol. 13: 847–852.Google Scholar
- 12.L.K.B. 2001 Vertical Electrophoresis, Laboratory Manual.Google Scholar
- 13.Lehninger, A.L. 1976. Biochemistry, The Molecular Basis of Cell Structure and Function, 2nd edn. New York: Worth Publishers.Google Scholar
- 14.Okada, K., Negishi, Y., Nagao, S. 1988. Characterization of acetic acid soluble and insoluble proteins isolated from doughs mixed in the presence of N-Ethylmaleimide. Cereal Chem. 65(3): 248–252.Google Scholar
- 15.Padhye, V.W., Salunkhe, D.K. 1979. Extraction and characterization of rice proteins. Cereal Chemistry 56(5): 389–393.Google Scholar
- 16.Padhye, V.W., Salunkhe, D.K. 1979. Biochemical studies on black gram (Phaseolus mungo L.) seeds. Amino acid composition and subunit constitution of fractions of the proteins. Journal Of Food Science 44(2): 605–611.Google Scholar
- 17.Park, W.M., Stegemann, H. 1979. Rice proteins patterns, Comparison by various PAGE techniques in slabs. J. Agronomy and Crop Sciene 148: 446–454.Google Scholar
- 18.Sarker, R., Bose, S. 1984. Electrophoretic characterization of rice varieties using single seed (salt soluble) proteins. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 68: 415–419.Google Scholar
- 19.Stegemann, H., Shehata, A.E., Hamza, M. 1980. Broad bean proteins (Vicia faba L.) electrophoretic studies on seeds of some German and Egyption cultivars. J. Agronomy and Crop Science 149: 447–453.Google Scholar
- 20.Villareal, R.M., Bienvenido, O. 1978. Properties of glutelin from mature and developing rice grain. Phytochemistry 17: 177–182.Google Scholar
- 21.Weber, K., Osbrn, M. 1969. The reliability of molecular weight determination by dodecyl sulfate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. J. Biol. Chem. 244: 4406–4412.Google Scholar
- 22.Wen, T.N., Luthe, D.S. 1985. Biochemical characterization of rice glutelin. Plant Physiol 78: 172–177.Google Scholar
- 23.Younis, S.A., Shahatha, H.A., Hagop, E.G., Al-Rawi, F.A. 1989. Comparison of protein and amino acid content of different local varieties of rice seeds (Oryza Sativa L.) Al-Mustansiriyah Journal Of Science 1: 9–14.Google Scholar