Grain quality characteristics of rice in Madagascar retail markets
- 48 Downloads
A survey of rice in retail markets of Madagascar with emphasis on the surplus regions of Marovoay and Lac Alaotra and the deficient area, Antananarivo City showed rices of Madagascar to be predominantly medium-long, medium-shaped, with high apparent amylose content, low gelatinization temperature, and soft, hard or medium gel consistency. Mean protein content was 7.5%. Percent white grains among red and white grains ranged from 0 to 100% (mean 56%), head rice 0–94%, translucency 6–66% and Kett whiteness 12–48%.
Key wordsrice (Oryza sativa L.) grain quality protein price physical properties amylose content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andrianilana F, Rasolo F, Rakotonjanahary R, Flinn JC, Mercado MD, Shahi BB, Perez CM (1989) Rice quality and prices in Madagascar. (typescript)Google Scholar
- 2.Cagampang GB, Perez CM, Juliano BO (1973) A gel consistency test for eating quality of rice. J Sci Food Agric 24: 1589–1594Google Scholar
- 3.International Rice Research Institute (1988) World rice statistics. Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines, 257 pGoogle Scholar
- 4.International Rice Research Institute (1988) Rice quality and prices in Madagascar. In: Annual Report for 1987. Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines, pp. 594–596Google Scholar
- 5.Juliano BO, Pascual CG (1980) Quality characteristics of milled rice grown in different countries. IRRI Res Paper Ser 48. 25 pp.Google Scholar
- 6.Juliano BO, Perez CM, Blakeney AB, Castillo DT, Kongseree N, Laignelet B, Lapis ET, Murty VVS, Paule CM, Webb BD (1981) International cooperative testing on the amylose content of milled rice. Starke 33: 157–162Google Scholar
- 7.Khush GS, Paule CM, de la Cruz NM (1979) Rice grain quality evaluation and improvement at IRRI. In: Proceedings of the workshop on chemical aspects of rice grain quality, IRRI, 1978. Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute, pp. 21–31Google Scholar
- 8.Little RR, Hilder GB, Dawson EH (1958) Differential effect of dilute alkali on 25 varieties of milled white rice. Cereal Chem 35: 111–126Google Scholar
- 9.Pathak MD, Zan K, Seshu DV, Garrity DP (1982) Rice in the Malagasy Republic. Current research and production and recommendations for acceleration. Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute, 42 pGoogle Scholar
- 10.Tanaka K (1988) Rice and rice culture in Madagascar. In: Y Takaya (ed) Madagascar: Perspectives from the Malay World. Sakyo, Kyoto, Japan: Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto University, pp. 25–92Google Scholar