Unconstrained convex programming approach to linear programming
Recently, Fang proposed approximating a linear program in the Karmarkar standard form by adding an entropic barrier function to the objective function and derived an unconstrained dual concave program. We present in this note a necessary and sufficient condition for the existence of a dual optimal solution to the perturbed problem. In addition, a sharp upper bound of error estimation in this approximation scheme is provided.
Key WordsConvex programs linear programs perturbations duality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bertsekas, D. P.,Constrained Optimization and Lagrange Multiplier Methods, Academic Press, New York, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.Mangasarian, O. L.,Least-Norm Linear Programming Solution as an Unconstrained Minimization Problem, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 92, pp. 240–251, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.Fang, S. C.,An Unconstrained Convex Programming View of Linear Programming, Zeitschrift für Operations Research—Methods and Models of Operations Research, Vol. 36, pp. 149–161, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Rajasekera, J. R., andFang, S. C.,Deriving an Unconstrained Convex Program for Linear Programming, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 75, pp. 603–612, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.Fang, S. C., andTsao, H. S. J.,Linear Programming with Entropic Perturbation, Zeitschrift für Operations Research—Methods and Models of Operations Research, Vol. 37, pp. 171–186, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.Karmarkar, N.,A New Polynomial Time Algorithm for Linear Programming, Combinatorica, Vol. 4, pp. 373–395, 1984.Google Scholar