Convergence and numerical results for a parallel asynchronous quasi-Newton method
- 62 Downloads
During the execution of a parallel asynchronous iterative algorithm, each task does not wait for predetermined data to become available. On the contrary, they can be viewed as local and independent iterative algorithms, which perform their own iterative scheme on the data currently available.
On the basis of this computational model, a parallel asynchronous version of the quasi-Newton method for solving unconstrained optimization problems is proposed. The algorithm is based on four tasks concurrently executing and interacting in an asynchronous way.
Convergence conditions are established and numerical results are presented which prove the effectiveness of the proposed parallel asynchronous approach.
Key WordsUnconstrained optimization quasi-Newton methods asynchronous paralel algorithms hierarchical parallelism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Miller, D. L., andPekny, J. F.,The Role of Performance Metrics for Parallel Mathematical Programming Algorithms, ORSA Journal on Computing, Vol. 5, pp. 26–28, 1993.Google Scholar
- 5.Conforti, D., De Luca, L., Grandinetti, L., andMusmanno, R.,Aynchronous Communication on Shared-Memory Parallel Computers, Software for Parallel Computers, Edited by J. Kowalik and L. Grandinetti, NATO ASI Series F, Springer Verlag, New York, New York, Vol. 106, pp. 280–293, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.Nocedal, J.,Theory of Algorithms for Unconstrained Optimization, Acta Numerica, pp. 199–242, 1991.Google Scholar
- 7.Fletcher, R.,Practical Methods of Optimization, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.Bertekas, D. P., andTsitsiklis, J. N.,Parallel and Distributed Computation, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.Conforti, D., Grandinetti, L., andMusmanno, R.,Parallel Asynchronous Quasi-Newton Algorithm for Nonlinear Optimization Problems, Proceeding of the IMACS-IFAC International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing in Engineering Systems, Edited by S. Tzafestas, P. Borne, and L. Grandinetti, Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 161–167, 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.Toint, Ph. L.,Test Problems for Partially Separable Optimization and Results for the Routine PSPMIN, Report N. 83/4, Department of Mathematics,Facultés Universitaires de Namur, Namur, Belgium, 1983.Google Scholar
- 15.Buckley, A., andLe Nir, A.,QN-Like Variable Storage Conjugate Gradients, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 27, pp. 155–175, 1983.Google Scholar
- 16.Liu, D. C., andNocedal, J.,Test Results of Two Limited-Memory Methods for Large-Scale Optimization, Report NAM-04, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1988.Google Scholar
- 17.Al-Baali, M.,A Rule for Comparing Two Methods in Practical Optimization, Report No. 119, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Sistemistica, Università della Calabria, 1991.Google Scholar