Nocturnal sleep and oxygen balance in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- 38 Downloads
A long-term, clinical and polygraphic investigation of nocturnal sleep was performed in nine non-ambulatory Duchenne muscular dystrophy patients (mean age 16.2 years, range 10–20) with normal daytime blood gas tensions. The data show that nocturnal sleep has some adverse influence on oxygen balance in these patients as suggested by the occurrence of arterial oxyhaemoglobin desaturation occurring mainly during REM stages. This adverse effect tended to worsen significantly within a 2-year period in the absence of any sleep-related symptoms. A significant correlation between the degree of oxygen imbalance during sleep and the degree of restrictive thoratic syndrome during wakefulness was shown.
Key wordsSleep Respiration Duchenne muscular dystrophy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Thoracis Society (1989) Indications and standards for cardiopulmonary sleep studies. Am Rev Respir Dis 139: 559–568Google Scholar
- 2.Cirignotta F, Coccagna G, Lugaresi E (1988) Sleep related cardiocirculatory and respiratory changes in normal and pathological conditions. In: Smirne S, Franceschi M, Ferini-Strambi L (eds) Sleep in medical and neuropsychiatric disorders. Masson, Milan, pp 45–49Google Scholar
- 3.Findley LI, Ries AL, Tisi GM, Wagner PD (1983) Hypoxemia during apnea in normal subjects: mechanics and impact of lung volume. J Appl Physiol 55:1777–1783Google Scholar
- 4.George CF, Kryger MH (1987) Sleep in restrictive lung disease. Sleep 10:409–418Google Scholar
- 5.Griggs RC, Donohoe KM, Utell MG, Goldblatt D, Moxley RT (1981) Evaluation of pulmonary function in neuromuscular disease. Arch Neurol 38:9–12Google Scholar
- 6.Guilleminault C (1982) Sleep and breathing. In: Guilleminault C (ed) Sleeping and waking disorders, indications and techniques. Addison-Wesley, Menlo Park, pp 155–182Google Scholar
- 7.Manni R, Ottolini A, Cerveri I, Bruschi C, Zoia MC, Lanzi G, Tartara A (1989) Breathing patterns and HbSaO2 changes during nocturnal sleep in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Neurol 236:391–394Google Scholar
- 8.Rechtschaffen A, Kales A (1968) A manual of standardized terminology, techniques and scoring system for sleep stages of human subjects. Brain Information Service/Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los AngelesGoogle Scholar
- 9.Redding GJ, Okamoto GA, Guthrie RD, Rollevson D, Milstein JM (1985) Sleep patterns in nonambulatory boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 66: 818–821Google Scholar
- 10.Smith PEM, Calverley PMA, Edwards RHT (1988) Hypoxemia during sleep in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Am Rev Respir Dis 137:884–888Google Scholar