Two-photon optical bistability of polar molecules inserted in a solid matrix: Phonon effects
- 19 Downloads
Single-beam two-photon optical bistability in a Fabry-Perot cavity filled with molecules which change permanent dipole moment upon electronic excitation is analysed under the mean-field and plane-wave approximations. One-photon resonances are discarded. These molecules are assumed to be in a solid matrix. Phonon effects are then taken into account. The Bloch equations of the system are further coupled by a term that is dependent on the electron-phonon interaction, leading to shifts in the switching thresholds which modify the optical bistability character. Such a term becomes irrelevant when the difference between the dipole moments is much greater than the transition dipole moment.
KeywordsCommunication Network Dipole Moment Transition Dipole Electronic Excitation Solid Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. C. KOTHARY and T. KOBAYASHI,IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-20 (1984) 418. (Correction and new results to be published by T. Kobayashi and H. Uchiki.)Google Scholar
- 2.J. ZYSS and D. S. CHEMLA, in ‘Quadratic Nonlinear Optics and Optimization of the Second-order Nonlinear Response of Molecular Crystals in Nonlinear Optical Properties of Organic Molecules in Crystals’, edited by D. S. Chemla and J. Zyss (Academic Press, New York, 1986).Google Scholar
- 3.A. F. GARITO and K. D. SINGER,Laser Focus Feb. (1982) 59.Google Scholar
- 4.A. F. GARITO, K. D. SINGER, K. HAYES, G. F. LIPSCOMB, S. J. LALAMA and K. N. DESAI,J. Opt. Soc. Am. 70 (1980), 1399.Google Scholar
- 5.S. I. PAVLIK,Opt. Spectrosc. USSR 59 (1985) 690.Google Scholar
- 6.B. P. ANTONYUK,Solid St. Commun. 33 (1980) 873.Google Scholar
- 7.Idem, Sowiet Phys. JETP 53 (1981) 1159.Google Scholar
- 8.D. PINES, ‘Elementary Excitations in Solids’ (Benjamin, New York, 1964).Google Scholar
- 9.D. B. FITCHEN, in ‘Physics of Color Centers’, edited by W. B. Fowler (Academic Press, New York, 1968).Google Scholar
- 10.R. BONIFACIO and A. LUGIATO,Phys. Rev. A18 (1978) 1129.Google Scholar