Sunflower inoculation with Azospirillum and other plant growth promoting rhizobacteria
- 127 Downloads
The bacterial microflora from sunflower rhizosphere (Helianthus annus L.) and one strain ofAzospirillum lipoferum of a different origin were screened for their ability to promote sunflower growth in a 6-day germination test and in pot experiments. TwoAzospirillum lipoferum strains and oneXanthomonas maltophilia strain produced the best responses. These strains were chosen for field testing.
Key wordsAzospirillum lipoferum germination test sunflower-growth promotion Xanthomonas maltophilia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arsac J F, Lamothe C, Mulard D and Fages J 1990 Growth enhancement of maize (Zea mays L.) throughAzospirillum lipoferum inoculation: Effect of plant genotype and bacterial concentration. Agronomie 10, 649–654.Google Scholar
- Baker R 1989 ImprovedTrichoderma spp. for promoting crop productivity. Trends Biotechnol. 7, 34–38.Google Scholar
- Carley H E and Watson R D 1966 A new gravimetric method for estimating root-surface area. Soil Sci. 102, 289–291.Google Scholar
- Davison J 1988 Plant beneficial bacteria. Biotechnology 6, 282–286Google Scholar
- Döbereiner J and Pedrosa F O 1987 Nitrogen-Fixing Bacteria in Nonleguminous Crop Plants. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Ela W S, Anderson M A and Brill J W 1982 Screening and selection of maize to enhance associative bacterial nitrogen fixation. Plant Physiol. 70, 1564–1567.Google Scholar
- Fages J and Mulard D 1988 Isolement de bactéries rhizosphériques et effet de leur inoculation en pots chezZea mays. Agronomie 8, 309–314.Google Scholar
- Okon Y and Hadar Y 1987 Microbial inoculants as crop-yield enhancers. CRC Crit. Rev. Biotechnol. 6, 61–85.Google Scholar
- Okon Y and Kapulnik Y 1986 Development and function ofAzospirillum-inoculated roots. Plant and Soil 90, 3–16.Google Scholar
- Zimmer W and Bothe H 1989 The phytohormonal interactions betweenAzospirillum and wheat.In Nitrogen Fixation with Non-Legumes. Eds. F ASkinner, R MBoddey and IFendrik. pp 137–145. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.Google Scholar