Platelet count and adhesiveness on induction to high altitude by air and road
- 27 Downloads
Platelet count and adhesiveness (PA) were estimated in 87 normal lowlanders at sea level. They were randomly divided in three groups. Group A was taken to 3 660 m by air, group B by rapid road ascent and group C by road after acclimatisation enroute. Estimations were repeated serially during stay at high altitude and then on return to sea level. The subjects were divided into “symptomatic” and “asymptomatic” groups based on their score on a symptom score chart. Some subjects of the air induced group (A) developed significant symptoms and showed a significant rise in PA on days 2 and 10 of exposure. Remaining subjects of group A and all subjects of road inducted group (B and C) remained asymptomatic and showed no change in PA. No significant change in the platelet counts in any of the lowlanders was noted on exposure to high altitude. The significance of these findings is discussed.
KeywordsPlant Physiology Platelet Count High Altitude Symptom Score Significant Rise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- GARVEY, M. E., DENNIS, L. H. and CONARD, M. F. (1958): The coagulopathy of hypobaric induced polycythemia and its reversal with heparin. Clin. Res., 16: 370–373.Google Scholar
- KINGMA, H. and DELANGEN, C. D. (1955): Hypoxia and blood coagulation. Aero. Acta., 4: 98–101.Google Scholar
- MASON, R. G. and SUMMERLIN, D.C. (1972): Alteration of platelet adhesion to glass in vascular disorders and certain other diseases. Amer. J. Clin. Path., 57: 611–615.Google Scholar
- SHARMA, S. C., BALASUBRAMANIAN, V. and SETH, H. N. (1977): Platelet adhesiveness in ischaemic heart disease. J. Ass. Phys. India, 25: 611–615.Google Scholar
- SHARMA, S. C., BALASUBRAMANIAN, V., MATHEW, O. P. and HOON, R. S. (1977a): Serial studies of heart rate, blood pressure and urinary catecholamine excretion on acute induction to high altitude (3658 m), Indian. J. Chest. Dis., 19: 16–20.Google Scholar
- SHARMA, S. C., HOON, R. S., BALASUBRAMANIAN, V. and CHADHA, K. S. (1978a): Urinary catecholamine excretion in temporary residents of high altitude. J. Appl. Physiol., 44: 625–627.Google Scholar
- SHARMA, S. C. H., VIJAYAN, G. P., SETH H. N. and SURI, M. L. (1978b): Platelet adhesiveness, plasma fibrinogen and fibrinolytic activity in ischaemic stroke in young. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psych., 41: 118–121.Google Scholar
- SHARMA, S. C. (1980a): Platelet count on acute induction to high altitude (3658m), Thrombos. Haemostasis (Stuttg.), 43: 24.Google Scholar
- SHARMA, S. C., BALASUBRAMANIAN, V. and CHADHA, K. S. (1980): Platelet adhesiveness in permanent residents of high altitude (3 658 m). Thrombos. Haemostasis (Stuttg.), 42: 1508–1512.Google Scholar