Wind profile development above a locally adjusted sea surface
- 51 Downloads
Results are presented from a ‘numerical experiment’ of wind and shear stress profile development away from a shore line; the water surface is assumed to obey the Charnock-Ellison relation between surface roughness and friction velocity. In typical cases the upwind, land surface is rough relative to the sea and the velocity and shear stress results are qualitatively similar to those for flows from relatively rough to relatively smooth solid surfaces. In the present case, however, the downwind surface roughness and friction velocity vary with position and we find that wind profile development may play a significant role in the relationship between sea surface roughness and fetch.
KeywordsShear Stress Water Surface Surface Roughness Significant Role Numerical Experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Charnock, H.: 1955, ‘Wind Stress on a Water Surface’,Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 81, 639.Google Scholar
- Ellison, T. H.: 1956, in Batchelor and Davies (eds.), ‘Atmospheric Turbulence’,Surveys in Mechanics, 400–430.Google Scholar
- Kitaigorodskii, S. A. and Volkov, Yu. A.: 1965, ‘On the Roughness Parameter of the Sea Surface and the Calculation of Momentum Flux in the Near-Water Layer of the Atmosphere’,Bull. (Izv.) Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics 1, (trans.) 566–574.Google Scholar
- Kitaigorodskii, S. A.: 1968, ‘On the Calculation of the Aerodynamic Roughness of the Sea Surface’,Bull. (Izv.) Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics 4, (trans.) 498–502.Google Scholar
- Laykhtman, D. L. and Snopkov, V. G.: 1970, ‘On the Problem of the Roughness of the Sea Surface’,Bull. (Izv.) Acad. Sci. U.S.S.R., Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics 6, (trans.) 379–380.Google Scholar
- Peterson, E. W.: 1969, ‘Modification of Mean Flow and Turbulent Energy by a Change in Surface Roughness under Conditions of Neutral Stability’,Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 95, 561–575.Google Scholar
- Phillips, O. M.: 1958, ‘Wave Generation by Turbulent Wind over a Finite Fetch’,Proc. 3rd U.S. Congress of Appl. Mech., 785–789.Google Scholar
- Taylor, P. A.: 1969a, ‘On Wind and Shear Stress Profiles above a Change in Surface Roughness’,Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 95, 77–91.Google Scholar
- Taylor, P. A.: 1970, ‘Numerical Models of Airflow above Lake Ontario’,Canadian Meteorological Memoir No. 28.Google Scholar
- Wu, J.: 1969, ‘Wind Stress and Surface Roughness at Air-Sea Interface’,J. Geophys. Res. 74, 444–455.Google Scholar