Interactions of calcium, nitrogen and potassium with phosphorus on the symptoms of toxicity in Grevillea cv. ‘Poorinda Firebird’
- 102 Downloads
In two hydroponic experiments it was found that phosphorus induced necrotic leaf symptoms and reduced the growth of Grevillea cv. ‘Poorinda Firebird’, a member of the Proteaceae family in which a number of species are known to be affected by phosphorus toxicity. The addition of high levels of calcium was found to aggravate these effects while high nitrogen or potassium levels alleviated them. Tissue analysis of plants receiving high levels of phosphorus showed a tenfold increase in leaf phosphorus compared with plants receiving no phosphorus. Lesser increases were measured in root and stem tissues.
Key WordsHydroponics Nutrient interactions Phosphorus toxicity Proteaceae
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Groves, R. H. and Keraitis, K. 1976 Survival and growth of seedling of three sclerophyll species at high levels of phosphorus and nitrogen. Aust. J. Bot.24, 681–690.Google Scholar
- 2.Grundon, N. J. 1972 Mineral nutrition of some Queensland heath plants. J. Ecol.60, 171–181.Google Scholar
- 3.Heddle, E. M. and Specht, R. L. 1975 Dark Island Heath (Ninety-mile Plain, South Australia). VIII. The effect of fertilizers on composition and growth. 1950–1972. Aust. J. Bot.23, 151–166.Google Scholar
- 4.Jackson, M. L. 1958 Soil Chemical Analysis. Constable and Co., London.Google Scholar
- 5.McClure, G. W. 1972 Nutrient distribution in root zones. III. Further studies of the effects of phosphorus distribution on corn and wheat. Can. J. Bot.50, 2275–2282.Google Scholar
- 6.Nichols, D. G., Jones, D. L. and Beardsell, D. V. 1979 The effect of phosphorus on the growth of Grevillea ‘Poorinda Firebird’ in soilless mixtures. Sci. Hortic.11, 197–205.Google Scholar
- 7.Robson, A. D., Edwards, D. G. and Loneragan, J. F. 1970 Calcium stimulation of phosphate absorption by annual legumes. Aust. J. Agric. Res.21, 601–612.Google Scholar
- 8.Specht, R. L. 1963 Dark Island Health (Ninety-mile Plain, South Australia) VII. The effect of fertilizers on composition and growth, 1950–1960. Aust. J. Bot.11, 67–94.Google Scholar
- 9.Taylor, J. A. 1973 Nutritional status of stone fruit orchards in the Swan Hill district, Victoria. Aust. J. Exp. Agric. Anim. Husb.17, 849–852.Google Scholar
- 10.Thomas, M. B. 1974 Research on the nutrition of container-grown Proteaceae plants and other nursery stock. Proc. Int. Plant. Prop. Soc.24, 313–325.Google Scholar