Sulfur accumulation in western wheatgrass exposed to three controlled SO2 concentrations
- 27 Downloads
Sulfur concentrations of western wheatgrass tillers and individual leaves were measured from plants exposed to four SO2 concentrations (9, 52, 105 and 183 μg·m−3). Sulfur concentration of plants was a linear function of either time of exposure or concentration.
Young leaves and the youngest portion of leaves contained less sulfur than their older counterparts irregardless of whether they had or had not been exposed to SO2.
Current hypotheses which relate plant sensitivity to amount of sulfur taken up do not apply for western wheatgrass.
Key WordsAir pollution Grassland Native grass Sulfur Sulfur dioxide Uptake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cowling, D. W. and Lockyer, D. R. 1978 The effect of SO2 onLolium perenne L. grown at different levels of sulphur and nitrogen nutrition. J. Exp. Bot.29, 257–265.Google Scholar
- 3.Garsed, S. G. and Read, D. J. 1977 The uptake and metabolism of35SO2 in plants of differing sensitivity to sulphur dioxide. Environ. Pollut.13, 172–186.Google Scholar
- 4.Guderian, R. 1977 Air pollution. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 127 pp.Google Scholar
- 5.Halbwachs, G. 1963 Untersuchnunger über gerichete aktive Strömungen and Stofftransporte im Blatt. Flora153, 333–357.Google Scholar
- 6.Heitschmidt, R. K., Lauenroth, W. K. and Dodd, J. L. 1978 Effects of controlled sulphur dioxide fumigation on western wheatgrass in a southeastern Montana grassland. J. Appl. Ecol.14, 693–702.Google Scholar
- 7.Jäger, H. J. 1976 S-Lokalisation in SO2-begasten Fichtennadeln. Eur. J. For. Pathol.6, 25–29.Google Scholar
- 9.Kondo, N., and Sugahara, K. 1978 Changes in transpiration rate of SO2 fumigation and the participation of abscisic acid. Plant Cell Physiol.19, 365–373.Google Scholar
- 10.Lauenroth, W. K., and Dodd, J. L. 1979 Chlorophyll reduction in west!rn wheatgrass exposed to sulfur dioxide (in prep.).Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, J. J. and Lewis, R. A. 1978 Zonal air pollution system: Design and performance. The bioenvironmental impact of a coal-fired power plant. Third Interim Report, Colstrip, Montana, pp. 322–344. ERS EPA-60013-78-021, Corvallis, Oregon.Google Scholar
- 12.Malhotra, S. S. and Hocking, D. 1976 Biochemical and cytological effects of sulphur dioxide on plant metabolism. New Phytol.76, 227–237.Google Scholar
- 13.Thomas, M. D. and Hendricks, R. H. 1956 Effects of air pollution on plants, pp. 9.1–9.44In Air Pollution Handbook Eds. P. L. Magill, F. Holden and C. Ackley. McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc. New York.Google Scholar
- 15.Ziegler, I. 1975 The effect of SO2 pollution on plant metabolism. Residue Rev.56, 79–105.Google Scholar