Determination of the half-lives of transactinium isotopes by relative activity method
Relative activity method offers the potentiality of providing half-life values over a wide range in a short time for different α-emitting transactinium isotopes. The method involves the preparation of a synthetic mixture using another isotope of the same element followed by the determination of atom ratio and α-activity ratio by thermal ionization mass spectrometry and α-spectrometry, respectively. A double dilution technique is described which helps in maintaining the atom ratios as well as α-activity ratios close to unity so that these could be determined with high precision and accuracy. Results obtained on the half-lives of232U,238Pu,242Pu and243Am using double dilution technique in relative activity method are summarized. Requirements, advantages and applications of this technique for determining the half-lives of other transactinium isotopes are presented.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Mass Spectrometry Inorganic Chemistry High Precision Ionization Mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.K. Aggarwal, S.A. Chitambar, V.D. Kavimandan, A.I. Almaula, P.M. Shah, A.R. Parab, V.L. Sant, H.C. Jain, M.V. Ramaniah,Radiochim. Acta, 29 /1981/ 65.Google Scholar
- 2.S.K. Aggarwal, S.A. Chitambar, V.D. Kavimandan, A.I. Almaula, P.M. Shah, A.R. Parab, V.L. Sant, H.C. Jain, M.V. Ramaniah, B.A.R.C. Report, BARC-1041, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.S.K. Aggarwal, S.B. Manohar, S.N. Acharya, Satya Prakash, H.C. Jain,Phys. Rev., C20 /1979/ 1553.Google Scholar
- 4.S.K. Aggarwal, A.V. Jadhav, S.A. Chitambar, K. Raghuraman, S.N. Acharya, A.R. Parab, C.K. Sivaramakrishnan, H.C. Jain,Radiochem. Radioanal. Lett., 46 /1981/ 69.Google Scholar
- 5.S.K. Aggarwal, S.N. Acharya, A.R. Parab, H.C. Jain,Phys. Rev., C20 /1979/ 1135.Google Scholar
- 6.S.K. Aggarwal, A.R. Parab, H.C. Jain,Phys. Rev., C22 /1980/ 767.Google Scholar