Rare earth impurities in high purity lanthanum oxide determined by neutron activation analysis
- 66 Downloads
Individual rare earth impurities in high purity La2O3 (≧99.9%) have been determined by NAA after pre-separation of the matrix (La). The separation is carried out on an anion exchanger (Dowex 1×8) using different mixtures of methanol/nitric acid as eluants. The rare earth elements from Dy to Lu are eluted quantitatively using a 10% 1M HNO3-90% methanol mixture, while the light rare earths from Ce to Gd are eluted quantitatively using a 10% 0.05M HNO3-90% methanol mixture. La, which is retained on the column, is eluted using 0.1M HNO3. The recoveries of the various rare earth elements have been checked using radiotracers and also by spiking the sample with known amount of elements, and the recoveries are found to be quantitative. Results obtained on a typical high purity lanthanum oxide are reported here.
KeywordsRare Earth HNO3 High Purity Lanthanum Activation Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.M. Hwang, J.S. Shih, Y. Chai Yeh, S.C. Wu,Analyst, 106 (1981) 869.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Kueppers, G. Erdtmann,Z. Fresenius. Anal. Chem., 307 (1981) 369.Google Scholar
- 3.J.P. Faris, J.W. Warton,Anal. Chem., 34 (1962) 1077.Google Scholar
- 4.H.B. Desai, R. Krishnamoorthy Iyer, M. SankarDas,Talanta, 11 (1964) 1249.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Parthasarathy, H.B. Desai, S.R. Kayasth,J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., Lett., 105 (1986) 277.Google Scholar