Radiolysis of quench-cooled pure and barium doped KNO3 in presence of oxides: Effect of particle size
- 30 Downloads
Radiation decomposition studies of quenched pure KNO3 and KNO3 doped with Ba2+ ions in the presence of PbO or Al2O3 as a heterophase impurity showed that the yield of nitrite varied with the particle size of the nitrate. The G/NO 2 − / values were also found to vary with the mol percent of PbO or Al2O3 in the mixture. Higher yields of nitrite were obtained in the presence of PbO, while in mixtures containing Al2O3, the yields of nitrite were lower in comparison with the G-values observed in the absence of oxide. These results are explained on the basis that a larger surface area results in an increased energy transfer at the interface between two neighbouring particles. The results can also be accounted for in terms of electron donor-acceptor properties of the added oxides.
KeywordsOxide Radiation Particle Size Nitrate Al2O3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Cunningham,J. Am. Chem. Soc., 85 /1963/ 1772.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Kaucic, A.G. Maddock,Trans. Faraday Soc., 65 /1960/ 1083.Google Scholar
- 3.V.G. Kriger, I.O. Lenanerskii, V.A. Nevostruev,Khim. Vys. Energ. 17 /1983/ 468.Google Scholar
- 4.V.A. Nevostruev, Yu.A. Zakharov,Kinet. Katal. 8 /1967/ 210.Google Scholar
- 5.S.F. Patil, A.G. Bedekar,Radiochim. Acta, 38 /1985/ 165.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Cunningham,J. Phys. Chem., 65 /1961/ 628.Google Scholar
- 7.D.V. Parwate, A.N. Garg,J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., Lett., 85 /1984/ 203.Google Scholar
- 8.L.P. Ermin,Khim. Vys. Energ., 3 /1969/ 529.Google Scholar
- 9.J.G. Rabe, B. Rabe, A.O. Allen,J. Phys. Chem., 70 /1966/ 1098.Google Scholar
- 10.S.F. Patil, S.A. Bhoite, A.G. Bedekar,J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., Lett. 93 /1985/ 133.Google Scholar
- 11.M.B. Shinn,Ind. Eng. Chem. Anal. Ed., /1941/ 1333.Google Scholar