Extraction and separation of mercury using 3,4,4a,5-tetrahydro-3, 3,4a-trimethyl-7-(substituted)-pyrimido [1,6-a] benzimidazole-1-thiol (PBT) and its application to industrial effluents
- 34 Downloads
A selective method for the extraction of mercury(II) from hydrochloric acid solution with 3,4,4a,5-tetrahydro-3,3,4a-trimethyl-7-(substituted)-pyrimido [1,6-a]-benzimidazole-1-thiol, (PBT) is proposed. The extraction ability of the system was studied both in strongly acidic (6 mol dm−3 HCl) and alkaline (pH 12) media. The optimum extraction conditions were evaluated from a critical study of the effect of pH, PBT concentration and metal ion concentration. The probable composition of the species has been deduced from lg-lg plots and an extraction mechanism is suggested. A separation scheme is proposed. The method has been applied for the determination of Hg (II) in industrial waste water.
KeywordsWaste Water Mercury Hydrochloric Acid Industrial Waste Extraction Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.B.F. Shraydeh, A.Z. Abu Zuhri, M.A. Hannoun,Spectrosc. Lett., 19 (1986) 929.Google Scholar
- 3.M.C. Eshwar, C.D. Sharma,Indian J. Technol., 24 (1986) 161.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Sommer, V. Kuban, M. Langova,Frensenius' Z. Anal. Chem., 310 (1982) 51.Google Scholar
- 5.Miwa Shigeru, Furukawa Masamichi, Shibata Shozo,Anal. Chim. Acta., 120 (1980) 405.Google Scholar
- 6.M.S. Saleh, H. Sedaria,Analyst, 112 (1987) 1685.Google Scholar
- 7.H.R.A. Gadiyar, R.V. Gadag, M.R. Gajendragad,Talanta, 29 (1982) 941.Google Scholar
- 8.J.C. Majumdar, B.C. Haldar,Radiochem. Radioanal. Lett., 45 (1980) 193.Google Scholar
- 9.R.K. Sahu, A. Magan, B. Gupta, S.M. Sondhi, R.C. Srimal, G.K. Patnaik,Phosphorous, Sulphur and Silicon, 88 (1994) 45.Google Scholar
- 10.S.M. Sondhi, A. Magan, R. Sahu, V.K. Mahesh, R. Shukla, G.K. Patnaik,Synthesis, 11 (1994) 1175.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Sahu, S.M. Sondhi, B. Gupta,Talanta (in press).Google Scholar
- 12.APHA, 1985, Standard Methods for Water and Waste Water Analysis, Boyd Progress, Springfield Publication, New York, 1985, pp. 165.Google Scholar