Influence of soil applications of nitrogen on nitrate reductase activity, leaf and grain protein content in sorghum
- 63 Downloads
Three sorghum genotypes, L.187, SK5912 and RCFA×L.187 (the latter being a hybrid) were field grown under four nitrogen application rates and replicated four times. The experiments were of complete randomized plot design and conducted in 1976, 1977 and 1978.
Nitrate Reductase Activity (NRA) was measured at 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15 weeks and at 18, 19, 20 and 21 weeks after planting in 4th vegetative leaf and flag leaf respectively. Flag leaf, 4th leaf and grain protein contents were also measured.
Nitrogen application generally increased NRA in both 4th leaf and flag leaf in the 3 genotypes at all the sampling dates.
NRA of the hybrid, RCFA×L.187 was consistently higher than those of SK5912 and L.187 (both straight varieties).
NRA of 4th leaf was negatively correlated with leaf protein but flag leaf protein tended to increase with applied nitrogen.
Flag leaf NRA was positively and significantly correlated with grain protein indicating an important part played by the flag leaf relative to protein accumulation of the developing grain.
Key WordsGrain protein Leaf protein Nitrate reductase Nitrogen dressing NRA Protein Sorghum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Croy, I. L. and Hageman, R. H. 1970 Relationship of nitrate reductase activity to grain protein production in wheat. Crop Sci.10, 280–285.Google Scholar
- 2.Deckard, E. L., Lambert, R. J. and Hageman, R. H. 1972 NRA in corn leaves as related to yields of grain and protein. Crop Sci.13, 343–350.Google Scholar
- 3.Eck, H. V., Wilson, G. C. and Martinez, I. 1975 Nitrate reductase activity of grain sorghum leaves as related to yields of grain, dry matter and nitrogen. Crop Sci.15, 557–561.Google Scholar
- 4.Eilrich, G. L. and Hageman, R. H. 1973 Nitrate reductase activity and its relationship to accumulation of vegetative and grain N in wheat (Triticum aestivum). Crop Sci.13, 59–66.Google Scholar
- 5.Fakorede, M. A. B. 1977. Direct and correlated response to recurrent selection for grain yield in maize breeding populations Ph.D. Diss. Iowa State University. pp 220–229.Google Scholar
- 6.Haikerwal, M. 1969 Proteins of sorghum grains. Ph.D. Thesis. Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria.Google Scholar
- 7.Hernandez, H. H., Walsh, D. E. and Bauer, A. 1974 Nitrate reductase in wheat: its relation to nitrogen fertilization. Cereal Chem.51, 330–336.Google Scholar
- 9.Klepper, L., Flesher, D. and Hageman, R. H. 1971 Generation of reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide for nitrate reduction in green leaves. Plant Physiol.48, 580–590.Google Scholar
- 10.Mattas, R. E. and Pauli, A. W. 1965 Trends in nitrate reduction and N fractions in young corn (Zea mays L.) plants during heat and moisture stress. Crop Sci.5, 181–184.Google Scholar
- 11.Morris, I. and Syrett, P. J. 1963 The development of nitrate reductase in chlorella and its repression by ammonium. Arch. Mikrobiol.47, 32–38.Google Scholar
- 12.Nair, T. V. R., Sinha, S. K. and Abrol, Y. P. 1974 Protease and nitrate reductase activity in relation to protein content in two sorghum hybrids CSH-2 and CSH-3. Indian J. Genet Plant Breed.34A, 1062–1066.Google Scholar
- 13.Pal, V. R., Johnson, R. R. and Hageman, R. H. 1976 Nitrate reductase activity in heat (Drought) tolerant and intolerant maize genotypes. Crop Sci.16, 757–780.Google Scholar
- 14.Radin, J. W. 1973In vivo assay of nitrate reductase in cotton leaf discs. Plant Physiol.51, 332–336.Google Scholar
- 15.Rawson, H. M. and Hofstra, G. 1969 Translocation and remobilization of14C assimilated at different stages by each leaf of the wheat plant. Aust. J. Biol. Sci.22, 321–331.Google Scholar
- 16.Smith, F. W. and Thompson, J. F. 1971 Regulation of nitrate reductase in excised barley roots. Plant Physiol.48, 219–223.Google Scholar
- 17.Simmons, S. and Moss, D. N. 1978 Nitrate reductase as a factor affecting N assimilation during the grain-filling period in spring wheat. Crop Sci.18, 584–586.Google Scholar
- 18.Zieserl, J. F. and Hageman, R. H. 1962 Effect of genetic composition on nitrate reductase activity in maize. Crop Sci.2, 512–515.Google Scholar