Carrier-mediated transport of amino acids through the blood-retinal and the blood-brain barriers
- 59 Downloads
The uptake-index method was used to study the transport of amino acids through the blood-retinal and blood-brain barriers in rats. The results indicate the existence of at least two different, similar carriers in both barriers, i.e., one each for neutral and basic amino acids. A third separate transport system for taurine was found in the blood-retinal barrier. All of the carrier systems studied transported amino acids from blood to nervous tissue.
KeywordsPublic Health Taurine Transport System Nervous Tissue Transport Amino Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berson EL, Hayes KC, Rabin AR, Schmidt SY, Watson G (1976) Retinal degeneration in cats fed casein. II. Supplementation with methionine, cysteine, or taurine. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 15: 52–58Google Scholar
- Christensen HN (1975) In: Biological transport. W. A. Benjamin, Reading, Massachusetts, pp 18–19 and 90–92Google Scholar
- Crocket ME, Daniel PM, Pratt OE (1978) A comparison of the transport systems which carryl-methionine across the blood-retinal and blood-brain barriers. J Physiol (Lond) 280: 39PGoogle Scholar
- Oja SS, Kontro P (1978) Neurotransmitter actions of taurine in the central nervous system. In: Barbeau A, Huxtable RJ (eds) Taurine and neurological disorders. Raven Press, New York, pp 181–200Google Scholar
- Pasantes-Morales H, Klethi J, Ledig M, Mandel P (1972a) Free amino acids in chicken and rat retina. Brain Res 41: 494–497Google Scholar
- Pasantes-Morales H, Klethi J, Urban PF, Mandel P (1972b) The physiological role of taurine in retina: Uptake and effect on electroretinogram (ERG). Physiol Chem Phys 4: 339–348Google Scholar
- Schmidt SY, Berson EL, Hayes KC (1976) Retinal degeneration in cats fed casein. I. Taurine deficiency. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 15: 47–52Google Scholar
- Törnquist P, Aim A (1982) Amino acid transport through the blood-retinal barrier. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci (suppl) 22: 179Google Scholar