Galerkin methods for a semilinear parabolic problem with nonlocal boundary conditions
We formulate and analyze a Crank-Nicolson finite element Galerkin method and an algebraically-linear extrapolated Crank-Nicolson method for the numerical solution of a semilinear parabolic problem with nonlocal boundary conditions. For each method, optimal error estimates are derived in the maximum norm.
Keywordssemilinear parabolic problem nonlocal boundary conditions finite element Galerkin method Crank-Nicolson method extrapolated Crank-Nicolson method optimal error estimates
AMS subject classification65M60 65M12 65M15
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. A. Day, Extensions of a property of the heat equation to linear thermoelasticity and other theories, Quart. Appl. Math. 40 (1982) 319–330.Google Scholar
- W. A. Day, A decreasing property of solutions of parabolic equations with applications to thermoelasticity, Quart. Appl. Math. 41 (1983) 468–475.Google Scholar
- C. de Boor, A bound on theL ∞-norm ofL 2-approximation by splines in terms of a global mesh ratio, Math. Comp. 30 (1976) 765–771.Google Scholar
- J. Douglas Jr., T. Dupont and L. Wahlbin, OptimalL ∞ error estimates for Galerkin approximations to solutions of two-point boundary value problems, Math. Comp. 29 (1975) 475–483.Google Scholar
- A. Friedman, Monotonic decay of solutions of parabolic equations with nonlocal boundary conditions, Quart. Appl. Math. 44 (1986) 401–407.Google Scholar
- B. Kawohl, Remarks on a paper by W. A. Day on a maximum principle under nonlocal boundary conditions, Quart. Appl. Math. 44 (1987) 751–752.Google Scholar
- Y. Lin, S. Xu and H.-C. Yin, Finite difference approximations for a class of non-local parabolic equations, Internat. J. Math. Math. Sci., to appear.Google Scholar
- J. C. López-Marcos and J. M. Sanz-Serna, A definition of stability for nonlinear problems, in:Numerical Treatment of Differential Equations, ed. K. Strehmel, Teubner Texte zur Mathematik (Teubner, Leipzig, 1988) pp. 216–226.Google Scholar
- J. C. López-Marcos and J. M. Sanz-Serna, Stability and convergence in numerical analysis III: Linear investigation of nonlinear stability, IMA J. Numer. Anal. 8 (1988) 71–84.Google Scholar
- H. J. Stetter,Analysis of Discretization Methods for Ordinary Differential Equations (Springer, Berlin, 1973).Google Scholar