Interferon induces an antiviral state in ganglioside-deficient transformed mouse fibroblasts
- 22 Downloads
The antiviral activity of mouse fibroblast interferon against vesicular stomatitis virus was investigated in L-929 mouse fibroblasts and the ganglioside-deficient L-929 mutant cells (ATCC clone NCTC 2071). Although it has been widely reported that gangliosides serve as primary receptors for interferon at the cellular membrane, only a small difference in interferon sensitivity was observed between the wild-type L-929 and the ganglioside-deficient NCTC 2071 cells. It was not possible, however, to overcome this difference by administration of exogenous gangliosides.
KeywordsInterferon Small Difference Antiviral Activity Cellular Membrane Mutant Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ankel H, Chany C, Galliot B, Chevalier MJ, Robert M 1973, Antiviral effect of interferon covalently bound to sepharose. Proc Natl Acad Sci US 70:2360–2363Google Scholar
- Ankel H, Krishnamurti C, Besancon F, Stefanos S, Falcoff E (1980) Mouse fibroblast (type I) and immune (type II) interferons: Pronounced differences in affinity for ganliosides and in antiviral and antigrowth effects on Mouse Leukemia L 1210 R cells, Proc Natl Acad Sci Us 77:2528–2532Google Scholar
- Belardelli F (1980) Cholera toxin and its B subunit inhibit interferon effects on Friend cells. Abstracts of the 13th FEBS Meeting Jerusalem 167Google Scholar
- Chang EH, Jay TF, Friedman RM (1978) Physical, morphological and biochemical alterations in the membranes of AKR mouse cells after interferon treatment. Proc Natl Acad Sci US 75:1859–1863Google Scholar
- Degre M, Hovig T (1976) Functional and ultrastructural studies of the effects of human interferon and cell membranes of in vitro cultured cells. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand Section B 84:347–358Google Scholar
- Friedman RM (1978) Interferon action and the cell surface. Pharm Therap Acta 2:425–438Google Scholar
- Gilman AG (1970) A protein binding assay for adenosine 3′:5′-cyclic momophosphate. Proc Natl Acad Sci US 67:305–312Google Scholar
- Knight E (1978) Purification of interferons. Pharm Therap Acta 2:439–446Google Scholar
- Kohn LD, Friedman RM, Holmes JM, Lee G (1976) Use of thyrotropin and cholera toxin to probe the mechanism by which interferon initiates its antiviral activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci US 73:3695–3699Google Scholar
- Moss J, Fishman PH, Manganiello VC, Vaughan M, Brady RO (1976) Functional incorporation of ganglioside into intact cells: Induction of choleragen responsiveness. Proc Natl Acad Sci US 73:1034–1037Google Scholar
- Taki T, Hirabayashi Y, Matsumoto M, Kiyohide K (1979) Enzymic synthesis of a new type of fucose-containing glycolipid with fucosyl-transferase of Rat Ascites Hepatoma cell, AH 7974 F.Biochim Biophys Acta 572:105–112Google Scholar