Expression of HTLV-specific polypeptides in various human T-cell lines
The adult T-cell leukemia(ATL)-associated antigen complex (ATLA) was first discovered with indirect immunofluorescence by Hinuma et al. (1981). Biochemical analysis with MT-2 cells revealed that ATLA consisted mainly of human T-cell leukemia virus (HTLV) structural polypeptides and their precursors (Yamamoto and Hinuma 1982a; Schneider et al. 1984). In this study, we have investigated the molecular nature of the ATLA antigen complex in various HTLV-positive human cell lines established by different methods including independently established HTLV-infected HUT 102 cells. We found that HTLVs infecting these cell lines have similar core polypeptides, p24 and p19, as well as an envelope glycopolypeptide, gp46, in all these cells. The intracellular gp61 and p53 appear to be precursors of the viral envelope and core polypeptides, respectively. Interestingly, MT-2 and MT-2 related T-cell lines contain two different species of envelope proteins, gp68 and gp61, whereas cell lines not related to MT-2 express only gp61.
KeywordsLeukemia Polypeptide Human Cell Biochemical Analysis Indirect Immunofluorescence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hinuma Y, Komoda H, Chosa T, Kondo T, Kohakura M, Takenaka T, Kikuchi M, Ichimaru M, Yunoki K, Sato I, Matsuo R, Takiuchi Y, Uchino H, Hanaoka M (1982) Antibodies to adult T-cell leukemia virus-associated antigen (ATLA) in sera from patients with ATL and controls in Japan: A nation-wide sero-epidemiologic study. Int J Cancer 29:631–635PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kobayashi N, Konishi H, Sabe H, Shigesada K, Noma T, Honjo T, Hatanaka M (1984a) Genomic structure of HTLV (Human T-cell leukemia virus): Detection of defective genome and its amplification in MT-2. The EMBO J. in pressGoogle Scholar
- Kobayashi N, Yamamoto N, Koyanagi Y, Schneider J, Hunsmann G, Hatanaka M (1984b) Translation of HTLV (Human T-cell leukemia Virus) RNA in a nuclease treated rabbit reticulocyte system. The EMBO J 3,2:321–325Google Scholar
- Miyoshi I, Kubonishi I, Yoshimoto S, Akagi T, Ohtsuki Y, Shiraishi Y, Nagata K, Hinuma Y (1981) Detection of type-C virus particles in a cord T-cell line derived by cocultivation of normal human cord leukocytes and human leukemic T-cells. Nature 296:770–771Google Scholar
- Takatsuki K, Uchiyama T, Sagawa K, Yodoi J (1977) Adult T-cell leukemia in Japan. In Topics in Hematology. (eds Seno S, Takaku F, Irino S. Excerpta Medica. Amsterdam) pp 73–77Google Scholar
- The T and B-cell malignancy study group (1981) Statistical analysis of immunologic, clinical and histopathologic data on lymphoid malignancies in Japan. Jap J Clin Oncol 11:15–38Google Scholar
- Yamamoto N, Schneider J, Hinuma Y, Hunsmann G (1982c) Adult T-cell leukemiaassociated antigen (ATLA): Detection of a glycoprotein in cell- and virus-free supernatant. Z Naturforsch 37c:731–732Google Scholar