Density of placing sand-gravel and pebble soils in dams
It is most rational to compact gravel-pebble and sand-gravel soils in dams to a relative density JD=0.8 (coefficient of compressibility RD=0.97). It is recommended to take this into account when revising construction specifications and regulations SNiP II-53-73 “Earth Dams”.
Deviation from the indicated control relative density leads upon its increase to a marked increase of energy expenditures on compacting the soil and upon its decrease to the incomplete use of the strength and deformation properties of the soil. Such devitations require special substantiation in designs.
It is necessary to take into account that the investigated soils, as a rule, contain silt and clay particles, and therefore have an optimum moisture content whose value can be determined experimentally.
In the absence of experimental values of the extreme density, the dry density of of gravel-pebble and sand-pebble and sand-gravel soils can be assigned on the basis of their actual values in nature.
KeywordsClay Silt Relative Density Compressibility Power Generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. G. Chernilov and V. M. Urunich, “Determination of the density of placing soils in earth dams,” Energ. Stroit., No. 6 (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.V. I. Vutsel', G. F. Biyanov, and V. M. Urunich, “Compacting ability of vibrating rollers and compactability of coarse-fragmental soils,” Energ. Stroit., No. 6 (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Ya. Lashchenov and N. F. Roiko, “Compaction of soils during placement in the Nurek dam and organization of geotechnical control,” Gidrotekh. Stroit, No. 11 (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.V. M. Urunich, “Density and compactability of pebble soils,” Energ. Stroit., No. 2 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. K. Severard and I. V. Kornienko, “Experience in using vibrating rolling in the construction of the Nurek dam,” Energ. Stroit., No. 2 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Vutsel', “Density and strength of earth dams,” Gidrotekh. Stroit., No. 9 (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.S. V. Bortkevich, V. I. Vutsel', A. G. Chernilov, and N. F. Roiko, “Control of the quality of compacting soils in the construction of high dams,” Gidrotekh. Stroit., No. 5 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Lee and A. Singh, “Relative density and relative compaction,” Proc. Am. Soc. Civil Eng.,97, No. M7, 1049–1052, July (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.A. A. Nichiporovich, Earth Dams [in Russian], Stroiizdat, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 10.W. G. Holz, Soil as an Engineering Material, Bureau of Reclamation, Report N17A, Water Resources. Technical Publication (1972).Google Scholar
- 11.Engineer Manual. Earth and Rock-fill Dams. US Department of the Army, Washington (1971).Google Scholar