An external approach without tracheotomy for submucosal cordectomy with laterofixation for bilateral abductor paralysis of the vocal folds
- 36 Downloads
There are numerous surgical procedures now available to manage bilateral abductor paralyses of the vocal folds. These procedures have various success rates but mostly do not offer reliable and predictable postoperative results, and usually require ,tracheotomy. The technique described in this report is based on a trial study to obtain a safe airway for an affected patient and avoid tracheotomy, if possible. Submucosal cordectomy was used with lateral fixation of one vocal fold and preservation of the arytenoid. The procedure was performed by using continuous intravenous anesthesia, which does not require intubation of the patient's airway. Seven patients were operated with this technique with excellent postoperative results. The glottal airway was largely improved in all patients, with only minor temporary complications.
Key wordsBilateral vocal fold abductor paralysis Submucosal cordectomy Lateral fold fixation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Freche C (1984) La voix humaine et ses troubles. Librairie Arnette, Paris, pp 198–203Google Scholar
- 6.Kelly JD (1941) Surgical treatment of bilateral paralysis of the abductor muscles. Arch Otolaryngol 2:293–304Google Scholar
- 7.King BT (1939) A new and function-restoring operation for bilateral abductor cord paralysis. Preliminary report. JAMA 112:314–323Google Scholar
- 9.Lawson HP (1959) Bilateral abductor paralysis of the vocal cords. In: Rob C, Smith R (eds) Operative surgery: eyes, ears, nose and throat. Davis, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lore JM (1936) A suggested operative procedure for the relief of stenosis in bilateral abductor paralysis: an anatomic study. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 45:679–684Google Scholar
- 13.Lore JM Jr (1988) An atlas of head and neck surgery. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 880–881Google Scholar
- 15.Muermann Y (1953) Extended cordectomy for intrinsic laryngeal carcinoma; application and results: plastic covering of excision surface. Proceedings of the 5th International Congress on Otorhinolaryngology, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 18.Thornell WC (1948) Intralaryngeal approach for arytenoidectomy in bilateral abductor vocal cord paralysis. Arch Otolaryngol 47:505–508Google Scholar
- 22.Woodman D (1946) A modification of the extralaryngeal approach to arytenoidectomy for bilateral abductor paralysis. Arch Otolaryngol 43:63–65Google Scholar