Statistical characteristics of individual waves in laboratory wind waves
- 52 Downloads
On the basis of data on the statistical characteristics of individual waves in laboratory wind waves reported in part I of this series, a self-consistent similarity regime is found to exist among properties of the individual waves, such as the nondimensional frequency, the wave number, the phase speed, and the steepness. Also, it is shown that forms of past empirical formulas for the development of the peak wave can be derived starting from the 3/2-power law, as an extension of the persent laboratory experimental data. In the derivation, only values of the coefficient of the 3/2-power law, and the fraction of momentum transferred from the wind retained by the wind waves, remain on an empirical basis.
KeywordsExperimental Data Statistical Characteristic Empirical Formula Phase Speed Wind Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hasselmann, K., T.P.Barnett, E.Bouws, H.Carlson, D.E.Cartwright, K.Enke, J.A.Ewing, H.Gienapp, D.E.Hasselmann, P.Kruseman, A.Meerburg, P.Müller, D.J.Olbers, K.Richter, W.Sell and H.Walden (1973): Measurements of wind-wave growth and swell decay during the Joint North Sea Wave Project (JONSWAP). Deut. Hydro. Z., Suppl. A.8, 95 pp.Google Scholar
- Longuet-Higgins, M.S. (1952): On the statistical distribution of the heights of sea waves. J. Mar. Res.,11, 245–266.Google Scholar
- Mitsuyasu, H. (1968): On the growth of the spectrum of wind-generated waves (I). Rep. Res. Inst. Appl. Mech., Kyushu Univ.,16, 459–482.Google Scholar
- Phillips, O.M. (1977): The dynamics of the upper ocean. 2nd ed. Cambridge Univ. Press, London, 336 pp.Google Scholar
- Plant, W.J. andJ.W. Wright (1980): Phase speeds of upwind and downwind traveling short gravity waves. J. Geophys. Res.,85, 3304–3310.Google Scholar
- Toba, Y. (1979): Study on wind waves as a strongly nonlinear phenomenon. Twelfth Symp. on Naval Hydrodyn., Nat. Acad. of Sci., Wash., D.C., 529–540.Google Scholar
- Wilson, B.W. (1965): Numerical prediction of ocean waves in the North Atlantic for December, 1959. Deut. Hydrogr. Z.,18, 114–130.Google Scholar