Influence of soluble sewage material on adsorption and desorption behavior of cadmium, cobalt, silver and zinc in sediment-freshwater, sediment-seawater systems
- 48 Downloads
The effect of varying concentrations of soluble sewage material in river water on the sorption of Ag, Cd, Co and Zn by suspended freshwater sediments has been studied. Comparison with unpolluted natural sediment systems show that the sorption processes for trace metals are often strongly modified when the river water contains sewage materials.
KeywordsZinc Cobalt Cadmium Sewage Trace Metal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fukai, R. andC. N. Murray (1973): Environmental behaviour of radiocobalt and radiosilver released from nuclear power stations into aquatic systems.In: Environmental Behaviour of Radionuclides Released in the Nuclear Industry STI/PUB/345. International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, pp. 217–242.Google Scholar
- Fukai, R., C. N.Murray and L.Huynh-Ngoc: Interaction between freshwater suspensions and seawater as a possible regulating mechanism for trace element concentrations in near-shore waters—a preliminary report. Thalassia Yugoslavia. (in press)Google Scholar
- Gibbs, R. J. (1973): Mechanisms of trace metal transport in rivers. Science,180, 71–73.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, E. D. (1954): Chemical scavengers of the sea. J. Geology,62, 249–265.Google Scholar
- Murray, C. N. andL. Murray (1973): Adsorption-desorption equilibria of some radionuclides in sediment-freshwater and sediment-seawater systems.In: Radioactive Contamination of the Marine Environment STI/PUB/313. International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, pp. 105–124.Google Scholar
- Robertson, D. E., W. B. Silker, J. C. Langford, M. R. Peterson andR. W. Perkins (1973): Transport and depletion of radionuclides in the Columbia River.In: Radioactive Contamination of the Marine Environment STI/ PUB/313. International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, pp. 141–158.Google Scholar
- Turekian, K. K. (1971): Rivers, tributaries and estuaries.In: Impringement of Man on the Oceans (Hood, D. W., ed.), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, pp. 9–73.Google Scholar