Is there VDAC in cell compartments other than the mitochondria?
- 64 Downloads
Higher eukaryotes, including mammals and plants, express a family of VDAC proteins each encoded by a distinct gene. Two human genes encoding VDAC isoforms (HVDAC1 and HVDAC2) have been characterized in greatest detail. These genes generate three proteins that differ primarily by the addition of distinct N terminal extensions in HVDAC2 and HVDAC2′, a splice variant of HVDAC2, relative to HVDAC1. Since N terminal sequences have been demonstrated to target many proteins to appropriate subcellular compartments, this observation raises the possibility that the N terminal differences found in HVDAC isoforms may lead to targeting of each protein to different cellular locations. Consistent with this hypothesis, a large number of reports have provided evidence consistent with the notion that HVDAC1 and its homolog in related mammalian species may specifically be present in the plasma membrane or other nonmitochondrial cellular compartments. Here, we review this information and conclude that if VDAC molecules are present at nonmitochondrial locations in mammalian cells, these are unlikely to be the known products of the HVDAC1 or HVDAC2 genes.
Key wordsMitochondria VDAC mammals plasma membrane human
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brdiczka, D., and Wallimann, T. (1994).Cellular Bioenergetics: Role of Creatine Kinases (Saks, V., and Ventura-Clapier, R., eds.), Boston.Google Scholar
- Colombini, M., Blachly-Dyson, E., and Forte, M. (in press). InIon Channels.: VDAC, a Channel in the Outer Mitochondrial Membrane (Narahasi, T., ed.), Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Craigen, W. J., Lovell, R. S., and Sampson, M. J. (1994).Am. J. Hum. Genet., Suppl. 55, A130.Google Scholar
- Kayser, H., Kratzin, H. D., Thinnes, F. P., Götz, H., Schmidt, W. E., Eckart, K., and Hilschmann, N. (1989).Biol. Chem. HopperSeyler 370, 1265–1278.Google Scholar
- Konstantinova, S. A., Mannella, C. A., Skulachev, V. P., and Zorov, D. B. (1995).J. Bioenerg. Biomembr., in press.Google Scholar
- Yu, W. H., Wolfgang, W., and Forte, M. (1995).J. Biol. Chem. 270, in press.Google Scholar