Estimation of chlorophyll concentration from the specific fluorescence at 685nm in the upward irradiance just below the sea surface
- 59 Downloads
An algorithm for estimating the chlorophyll concentration from the fluorescence intensity at 685nm in upward irradiance observed just below the sea surface is presented and discussed. The observed chlorophyll concentration is closely related to the ratio of the fluoresced quanta to the total incident quanta (downward plus upward quanta) in the spectral range between 350nm and 600nm. The correlation between them, however, is not good and the rate of increase of the ratio decreases as the chlorophyll concentration increases. This is due to the fact that the number of fluoresced quanta varies with attenuation of the incident light by various materials in the sea.
A better correlation is obtained between the ratio of the fluoresced quanta to the upward quanta at wavelengths around 480nm. This is explained by the fact that dividing by the upward quanta at the appropriate wavelength compensates for apparent variation of fluorescence intensity with attenuation by the sea water. In this method, upward quanta at the four wavelengths of 480nm, 640nm, 685nm and 740nm are necessary for estimation of chlorophyll concentration. The quanta at 640nm and 740nm are used for interpolating the quanta at 685nm in the absence of fluorescence.
It is also shown that the correlation of the observed chlorophyll concentration with the ratio of upward quanta at the wavelengths of 685nm and 480nm is also good. Use of this ratio is recommended for remote sensing of chlorophyll concentration since the number of spectral channels required by the remote multispectral imager can be minimized.
KeywordsChlorophyll Attenuation Fluorescence Intensity Spectral Range Incident Light
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Austin, R.W. (1979): Coastal zone color scanner radiometry. SPIE 208 (ocean optics VI), 170–177.Google Scholar
- Doerffer, R. (1981): Factor analysis in ocean colour interpretation. p. 339–345. In: Oceanography from Space, ed. by J.F.R. Gower, Plenum Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- Fujita, Y. (1986): CTD-RMS data list. In: KH-82 -3 preliminary data report, Hakuho Maru, June 9 to July 8. Ocean Res. Inst. Univ. Tokyo (in printing).Google Scholar
- Gower, J.F.R. (1980): Observation of in situ fluorescence of colorophylla in Saanich Inlet. Boundary-Layer Meteorology,18, 235–245.Google Scholar
- Gower, J.F.R. and G. Borstad (1981): Use of thein vivo fluorescence line at 685 nm for remote sensing surveys of surface chlorophylla. p. 329–338. In: Oceanography from Space, ed. by J.F.R. Gower, Plenum Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- Kishino, M. and N. Okami (1984): Instrument for measuring downward and upward spectral irradiances in the sea. La mer,22, 37–40.Google Scholar
- Kishino, M., S. Sugihara and N. Okami (1984a): Influence of fluorescence of chlorophylla on underwater irradiance spectrum. La mer,22, 224–232.Google Scholar
- Kishino, M., S. Sugihara and Okami (1984b): Estimation of quantum yield of chlorophylla fluorescence from the upward irradiance spectrum in the sea. La mer,22, 233–240.Google Scholar
- Morel, A. and L. Prieur (1977): Analysis of variations in ocean color. Limnol. Oceanogr.,22, 709–722.Google Scholar
- Neville, R. A. and J.F.R. Gower (1977): Passive remote sensing of phytoplankton via chlorophylla fluorescence. J. Geophys. Res.,82, 3487–3493.Google Scholar
- Parsons, T.R. and J.D.H. Strickland (1963): Discussion of spectrophotometric determination of marine-plant pigments, with revised equations for ascertaining chlorophylls and carotenoids. J. Mar. Res.,21, 155–163.Google Scholar
- Strickland, J.D.H. and T.R. Parsons (1968): A practical handbook of seawater analysis. Bull. Fish. Res. Bd. Can., 167 pp.Google Scholar
- Sugihara, S., M. Kishino and N. Okami (1985a): Correlation of chlorophyll concentrations and suspended solids with near-surface upward irradiance within the LANDSAT bands 4, 5 and 6. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,41, 113–122.Google Scholar
- Sugihara, S., M. Kishino and N. Okami (1985b): Estimation of water quality parameters from irradiance reflectance using optical models. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,41, 399–406.Google Scholar
- Yentsch, C.S. and C.M. Yentsch (1979): Fluorescence spectral signatures: the characterization of phytoplankton populations by the use of excitation and emission spectra. J. Mar. Res.,34, 471–483.Google Scholar