Morphological changes in the amniotic epithelium in relation to placental weight and fetal maturity
- 33 Downloads
A series of 52 placentas from the 36th week of gestation up to post-maturity was studied. The amniotic epithelium was studied with special regard to the morphological signs of maturation known to occur during this period. The results of the dating were compared with the presumed clinical age of the pregnancy and with the placental weight. A good correlation was found in 42.3% of the cases; the clinical age was overscored in 17.3% and underestimated in 40.4% of the subjects. No clear correlation was found between placental weight and histologic dating of the amniotic epithelium. The significance of the lipid laden amnios cells is discussed.
Key wordsAmniotic epithelium Fetal maturity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, A. B. M., Griffiths, A. D.: Estimation of duration of gestation by amniotic fluid cytology. J. Obstet. Gynaec. Brit. Cwlth75, 300 (1968)Google Scholar
- Brosens, I., Gordon, H.: The cytologic diagnosis of ruptured membranes using Nile Blue sulfate staining. J. Obstet. Gynaec. Brit. Cwlth72, 342 (1965)Google Scholar
- Cohen, J.: Origine tissulaire des cellules du liquide amniotique. Presse méd.79, 2539 (1971)Google Scholar
- Gordon, H., Brosens, I.: Cytology of amniotic fluid: a new test for fetal maturity. Obstet. and Gynec.30, 652 (1967)Google Scholar
- Morrison, J. C., Whybrew, W. D., Bucovaz, E. T., Wiser, W. L., Fish, S. A.: Nile blue and fetal maturity. Obstet. and Gynec.49, 38 (1977)Google Scholar
- Philippe, E.: L'amnios, le chorion et le liquide amniotique. In: Histopathologie Placentaire. Paris: Masson 1974Google Scholar
- Stenbäck, F., Ojala, A.: Determination of fetal maturity by means of amniotic fluid cells. Acta cytol. (Philad.)14, 439 (1970)Google Scholar
- Thomson, A. M., Billewicz, W. Z., Hytten, F. E.: The weight of the placenta in relation to birthweight. J. Obstet. Gynaec. Brit. Cwlth76, 865 (1969)Google Scholar