Mössbauer spectroscopy of laser annealed tellurium implanted silicon (II).129I
- 29 Downloads
Laser annealed129mTc-implanted silicon has been investigated using129I Mössbauer spectroscopy. At least three dopedependent charge states of substitutional iodine are found. For heavily doped p-type Si a single line component S1, with isomer shift S=0.96(4) mm/s w. r. t. Cu129I and an effective Debye temperature ϕ′=196(3) K is observed. This component is attributed to I++. For compensated Si a single line component, S2, assigned to I+, with S=2.39 (4) mm/s and ϕ′=170 (3) K is found. For n-type Si, a component S3, characterized at 4.2 K by S=2.15 (4) mm/s and a quadrupole splitting eQVzz/h=452 (8) MHz (n≃0)is observed. At higher temperatures S3 shows quadrupole relaxation and its recoilless fraction becomes strongly anisotropic. This behaviour is explained on the basis of a transition from a static to a dynamic Jahn-Teller distortion. Component S3 has been attributed to I0. In the spectra of compensated and n-type Si a less well-defined component Q, with parameters resembling those of S3 but showing no quadrupole relaxation, is observed. This component has tentatively also been assigned to Io. The results can be understood qualitatively on the basis of a simple MO-model.
KeywordsIsomer Shift Quadrupole Split Absorption Area M6ssbauer Spectrum M6ssbauer Spectroscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G.J. Kemerink, unpublished results (1977).Google Scholar
- H. de Waard, in Mössbauer effect data index — 1973, ed. J.G. Stevens and V.E. Stevens (Plenum, New York, 1975) p. 447.Google Scholar
- G.J. Kemerink, H. de Waard, L. Niesen and D.O. Boerma, accepted for publication in Radiat. Eff.Google Scholar
- A.H. Snell, in Alpha-, beta-and gamma-ray spectroscopy, ed. K. Siegbahn, vol. 2 (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1968) p. 1545.Google Scholar
- D.E. Ellis, in Mössbauer isomer shifts, ed. G.K. Shenoy and F.E. Wagner (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1978) p. 623.Google Scholar
- M.D. Sturge, in Solid state physics, ed. F. Seitz, D. Turnbull and H. Ehrenreich, vol. 20 (Academic Press, 1967) p. 91.Google Scholar
- G.A. van der Velde, Ph.D. thesis, University of Groningen (1974).Google Scholar
- E. Kankeleit and A. Körding, J. de Phys. 12 (1976) C6–65.Google Scholar
- P.L. Hemment and P.R.C. Stevens, in Atomic collision phenomena in solids, ed. D.W. Palmer, M.W. Thompson and P.D. Townsend (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1970) p. 217.Google Scholar