Carcinoma in gastric hyperplastic polyps
- 71 Downloads
One-hundred twelve hyperplastic polyps were analyzed. The aim was to study their malignant transformation. Among them, four hyperplastic polyps harbored adenocarcinoma; two were from our own institution (1.8%). The majority were pedunculated and located in the antrum with an average of 14.5 mm in diameter. The four polyps bore well-differentiated adenocarcinoma. Dysplasia and intestinal metaplasia were detected in two and three polyps, respectively. The cancer and dysplastic foci shared the same type of neutral and acid mucosubstances. p53 oncoprotein was positive in three cancer foci and in the dysplastic areas, and nucleolar organizer region counts were higher in the cancer foci. In conclusion, hyperplastic polyps have malignant potential. Such possibility increases in polyps larger than 14.5 mm. In our cases, the carcinoma foci may have arisen from dysplastic areas. Once the neoplastic changes occur, the cancer cells proliferate and behave as other adenocarcinomas of the stomach.
Key wordshyperplastic polyps malignant changes cancer foci dysplasia adenocarcinoma intestinal metaplasia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Morson BC, Dawson IMP, Day D, Jass JR, Price AB, Williams GT: Morson & Dawson's Gastrointestinal Pathology. Oxford, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1990Google Scholar
- 6.Elster K: A new approach to the classification of gastric polyps. Endoscopy 6:44–47, 1974Google Scholar
- 7.Laxén F, Sipponen P, Ihamäki T, Hakkiluoto A, Dortscheva Z: Gastric polyps; their morphological and endoscopical characteristics and relation to gastric carcinoma. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand Sect A 90:221–228, 1982Google Scholar
- 13.Remmele W, Kolb EF: Malignant transformation of hyperplasiogenic polyps of the stomach. Case report. Endoscopy 10:63–65, 1978Google Scholar
- 16.Sun RZ, Makiyama K, Oohi J, Itsuno M, Murata I, Hara K, Matsunaga K, Haraguchi M, Kawaziri A: A clinico-pathological study of gastric polyps treated with endoscopic polypectomy. Acta Med Nagasaki 36:238–242, 1991Google Scholar
- 24.Nakamura T: Malignant change of gastric polyp, with special reference to histopathological classification. Stomach Intest 3:737–747, 1968 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 34.Correa P, Shiao YH: Phenotypic and genotypic events in gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Res (Suppl) 54:1941s-1943s, 1994Google Scholar