Biodegradation of aromatic compounds byRhodopseudomonas gelatinosa
- 38 Downloads
A few photosynthetic bacteria have been isolated from a biological treatment system treating producer gas plant effluent. One of them was identified asRhodopseudomonas gelatinosa on the basis of physiological and morphological characteristics. Biodegradation of aromatic compounds byR. gelatinosa appears not to have been reported in the literature. The culture was found to degrade benzoic acid,p-hydroxybenzoic acid, cinnamic acid, andp-coumaric acid. The doubling time for this culture was found to be 18, 19, 23, and 31 h for benzoic acid, p-hydroxybenzoic acid, cinnamic acid, andp-coumaric acid respectively.
KeywordsBiodegradation Morphological Characteristic Treatment System Benzoic Acid Aromatic Compound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Healy JB, Young LY (1979) Anaerobic biodegradation of eleven aromatic compounds to methane. Appl Environ Microbiol 38:84–89Google Scholar
- 2.Madigan MT, Gest H (1988) Selective enrichment and isolation ofRhodopseudomonas palustris using trancinnamic acid as sole carbon source. FEMS Microbial Ecol 53:53–58Google Scholar
- 3.Pfennig N, Truper HG (1974) Bergey's manual of determinative bacteriology, 8th edn. Buchanan RE, Gibbons NE (eds) Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins Co. pp 24–37Google Scholar
- 4.Tanaka H, Maeda H, Suzuki H, Kamibayashi A, Tonomura K (1982) The metabolism of thiophene-2-carboxylate by a photosynthetic bacterium. Agric Biol Chem 46:1429–1438Google Scholar
- 5.Truper HG, Pfennig N (1978) Taxonomy of Rhodospirillales. In: Clayton RK, Sistrom WR (eds) The photosynthetic bacteria. New York and London: Plenum Press pp 19–27Google Scholar
- 6.Truper HG, Pfennig N (1981) Characterization and identification of the anoxygenic phototrophic bacteria. In: Starr MP, Stolp H, Truper HG, Balows A, Schlegel HG (eds) The prokaryotes-a handbook on habitats, isolation and identification of bacteria. Vol 1. New York: Springer-Verlag, pp 299–312Google Scholar
- 7.Yamanaka K, Moriyama M, Minoshima R, Tsuyuki Y (1983) Isolation and characterization of a methanol-utilizing phototrophic bacterium,Rhodopseudomonas acidophila M402 and its growth on vanillin derivatives. Agric Biol Chem 47:1257–1267Google Scholar
- 8.Yasuo H, Toshio S (1985) Dependence on calcium ions of gelatin hydrolysis byRhodopseudomonas capsulata but notRhodopseudomonas gelatinosa. Agric Biol Chem 49:3331–3332Google Scholar