Performance of driven reinforced-concrete piles in a pile grillage subject to lateral loading
- 33 Downloads
1. The proposed method of testing single piles with simulated fixity of the heads in a grillage slab can be used to determine the bearing capacity of grillages subject to lateral loading when designing pile foundations, particularly for large-scale construction.
2. The resultant data on the variation of the fixed-end moments in the heads of piles can be employed to confirm and evaluate different computational methods and models that require load-displacement curves as initial data to obtain parameters.
3. The resistance of grouped piles to lateral loading significantly exceeds the resistance of piles with an unrestricted head deflection. This occurs owing to the fixity of the pile heads in the slab.
4. Pile interaction in a single-row group, and also the presence of slab deflection were reflected slightly in the resistance of laterally loaded piles.
KeywordsInitial Data Resultant Data Structural Foundation Hydraulic Engineer Bearing Capacity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. N. Golubkov, "Experimental studies of the performance of laterally loaded piles," in: Foundations and Foundation Beds. Problems of Soil Mechanics [in Russian], No. 11, Stroivoenmorizdat, Moscow (1948).Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. Znamenskii and Yu. P. Yurko, "The bearing capacity of laterally loaded pile foundations," in: construction in Rregions of Eatern Siberia and the Far North [in Russian], No. 17, Krasnoyarskii Promstroiniiproekt, Krasnoyarsk (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.V. S. Kazarnovskii and G. P. Fadeev, Experimental studies of the performance of laterally loaded pile foundations in soils prone to slump-type settlement [in Russian], Proceedings of the Novosibirsk Institute of Railroad Transportation Engineers, No. 103, Novosibirsk (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.K. S. Zavriev, "The design of piles and shell piles subject to lateral and moment loads," Osn., Fundam. Mekh. Gruntov, No. 2 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.K. S. Zavriev and G. S. Shpiro, Foundation Designs for Deep-Seated Bridge Supports [in Russian], Transport, Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.S. L. Aggarwal and S. Prakash, "Determination of the lateral-load carrying capacity of pile groups in the field," The Institute of Engineers, No. 6 (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.Lyman C. Rees and William R. Cox, Field testing and analysis of laterally loaded piles in stiff clay, Seventh Annual Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, 1975, Vol. 2, Part I, No. 1 (1975).Google Scholar