Cloning and expression inEscherichia coli of arecA-like gene fromZymomonas mobilis
Intergeneric complementation ofEscherichia coli recA mutants was used to identify recombinant plasmids, within a genomic library derived fromZymomonas mobilis, that carryZ. mobilis recA-like gene. Screening of 1100 individualE. coli strains revealed four clones expressing therecA+ character. On restriction analysis, all four recombinant plasmids were found to be related and to exhibit a common 6.7-kb fragment. Consequently, one of the four recombinant plasmids, pZR27, was selected for further characterization. When introduced intoE. coli recA mutants, pZR27 restored resistance to methyl methane sulfonate, mitomycin-C, and UV irradiation, as well as recombination proficiency when measured by standard Hfr-mediated conjugation. The clonedrecA-like gene also restored the spontaneous and mitomycin-C-induced phage production. The origin of the insert in pZR27 from the chromosome ofZ. mobilis was confirmed by Southern transfer and DNA hybridization. However, no homology was found between therecA ofE. coli andZ. mobilis chromosomal insert DNA. TheZ. mobilis recA-like gene also encoded a major polypeptide of 38-kDa on SDS-PAGE.
KeywordsRecombination Recombinant Plasmid Restriction Analysis Genomic Library Methane Sulfonate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Better M, Helinski DR (1984) Isolation and characterization of therecA gene ofRhizobium meliloti. J Bacteriol 155:311–316Google Scholar
- 3.Brestic-Goachet N, Gunasekaran P, Cami B, Baratti J (1990) Transfer and expression of aBacillus licheniformis α-amylase gene inZymomonas mobilis. Arch Microbiol 153:219–225Google Scholar
- 13.Lejeune A, Eveleigh DE, Colson C (1988) Expression of an endoglucanase gene ofPseudomonas fluorescens var.cellulosa inZymomonas mobilis. FEMS Microbiol Lett 49:363–366Google Scholar
- 15.Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J (1982) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.Google Scholar
- 17.Miller JH (1972) Experiments in molecular genetics. New York: Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- 19.Rogers PL, Lee KJ, Skotnicki ML, Tribe DE (1982) Ethanol production byZymomonas mobilis. Adv Biochem Eng 23:37–84Google Scholar
- 25.Yoon KH, Park SH, Pack MY (1988) Transfer ofBacillus subtilis endoβ-1,4-glucanase gene intoZymomonas anaerobia. Biotechnol Lett 10:213–216Google Scholar