Effect of proton pump inhibitor, omeprazole, on expression of rat parietal cell specific carbohydrate antigen, type 2 chainN-acetyllactosamine
- 51 Downloads
The effect of a proton pump inhibitor, omeprazole, on the rat gastric mucosal expression of carbohydrate antigens was studied. Type 2 chainN-acetyllactosamine was detected specifically on the apicocanalicular cell membranes of parietal cells. Pretreatment of rats with omeprazole profoundly suppressed the antigen expression, which followed the inhibition of gastric acid secretion. When omeprazole was discontinued, the antigen was reexpressed, which preceded the restoration of acid secretion. The antigen-negative tissues became antigen-positive when they were desialylated. Gastric membrane vesicles from the normal and omeprazole-treated rats were antigen-positive and-negative, respectively. SDS-PAGE revealed that a glycoprotein with an apparent molecular weight of 64–78 kDa carried type 2 chainN-acetyllactosamine. In the omeprazole-treated rats, the same molecular weight glycoprotein was positively immunostained only after desialylation. We concluded that: (1) the expression of type 2 chainN-acetyllactosamine was closely correlated with gastric acid secretion, and (2) the inhibition of acid secretion was accompanied by the sialylation of the parietal cell membrane glycoprotein.
Key wordsrat parietal cell carbohydrate antigen proton pump inhibitor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Forte TM, Forte JG: Histochemical staining and characterization of glycoproteins in acid-secreting cells of frog stomach. J Cell Biol 47:437–452, 1970Google Scholar
- 11.Ito M: Quantitative morphological studies of the human gastric parietal cell. A lectin histochemical study. Jpn J Gastroenterol 84:863–867, 1987 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 15.Mori Y, Fukuma K, Adachi Y, Adachi Y, Shigeta K, Kannagi R, Tanaka H, Sakai M, Kuribayashi K, Uchino H, Masuda T: Parietal cell autoantigens involved in neonatal thymectomy-induced murine autoimmune gastritis. Studies using monoclonal autoantibodies. Gastroenterology 97:364–375, 1989PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Spiro RG: Analysis of sugars found in glycoproteins. Methods Enzymol 8:3–26, 1966Google Scholar
- 29.Toh BH, Gleeson PA, Simpson RJ, Simpson RJ, Moritz RL, Callaghan JM, Goldkorn I, Jones CM, Martinelli TM, Mu F, Humphris DC, Pettitt JM, Mori Y, Masuda T, Sobieszczuk P, Weinstock J, Mantamadiotis T, Baldwin GS: The 60- to 90-kDa parietal cell autoantigen associated with autoimmune gastritis is a β subunit of the gastric H+K+-ATPase (proton pump). Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87:6418–6422, 1990PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Neutra M, Forstner JF: Gastrointestinal mucus: Synthesis, secretion and function.In Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Vol. 2, 2nd ed. LR Johnson (ed). New York, Raven Press, 1987, pp 975–1009Google Scholar