Sublogarithmic-space turing machines, nonuniform space complexity, and closure properties
- 34 Downloads
We show that some of the fundamental closure properties (such as concatenation) that hold for Turing machines (TMs) operating in space above logn, do not hold for TMs operating in space below logn. We also compare the powers of TMs andsweeping TMs operating in space below logn. While the proof that the powers of TMs and sweeping TMs are the same is trivial for space greater than or equal to logn, it is not obvious when the space is sublogarithmic. To explore the nature of sublogarithmic space computations further, we introduce a nonuniform space complexity measure and study some of its fundamental properties (such as closure, hierarchy, and gap) in the sublogarithmic range.
KeywordsSpace Complexity Turing Machine Binary Representation Finite Automaton Closure Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Alb86]Alberts, M., Space complexity of alternating Turing machines,Fundamentals of Computation Theory, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1986, pp. 1–7.Google Scholar
- [Alt76]Alt, H. and K. Mehlhorn, A language over a one-symbol alphabet requiring onlyO(log logn) space,SIGACT Newsletter, Nov.–Dec. 1975.Google Scholar
- [Cha86b]Chang, J., O. Ibarra, T. Jiang, and B. Ravikumar, Some languages in NC1 (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- [Cha87b]Chang, J., O. Ibarra, and A. Vergis, On the power of one-way communication, to appear inJournal of the Association for Computing Machinery. (Preliminary version appeared in theProc. of the 27th Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 455–464.)Google Scholar
- [Sak78]Sakoda, W. and M. Sipser, Nondeterminism and the size of two-way finite automata,Proc. of the Tenth ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 1978, pp. 275–286.Google Scholar
- [Sch85]Schoning, U.,Complexity and Structure, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 211, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Ste65]Stearns, R., J. Hartmanis, and P. Lewis, Hierarchies of memory limited computations,IEEE Conference Record on Switching Circuit Theory and Logical Design, IEEE Pub. 16C13, 1965, pp. 179–190.Google Scholar