Diagnostics of density fluctuations by enhanced scattering with frequency-tunable microwave sources
The enhanced scattering diagnostics method based on the scattering of microwaves close to the upper hybrid resonance in the plasma has a high sensitivity and spatial resolution and makes it possible to observe the plasma density fluctuations with characteristic scale-lengths much smaller than the wavelength of the probing radiation in vacuum. Good spatial resolution for spatial positioning of the scattering volume by fast tuning of the source frequency ±5% around the reference frequency in the range 100–300 GHz at high power makes this diagnostic method particularly suitable for fluctuation and high energy particle measurements in tokamak plasmas with relatively flat density and temperature profiles.
Key wordsplasma diagnostics enhanced scattering gyrotron frequency tunability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- O. Dumbrajs, J.A. Heikkinen, and K. Sarparanta, Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Strong Microwaves in Plasmas, Nizhnij Novgorod, Russia, August 15–22, 1993.Google Scholar
- K.M. Novik, and A.D. Piliya, Plasma Phys. Contr. Fusion 357 (1993); A.D. Piliya, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 36, 2195 (1966).Google Scholar
- P.W. Fekete, G.F. Brand, and T. Idehara, Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 36, 1407 (1994).Google Scholar
- G.F. Brand, ”Development and applications of frequency tunable submillimeter wave gyrotrons,” 19th International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Sendai, Japan, October 17–20, 1994, Conference Digest.Google Scholar
- O. Dumbrajs and G.S. Nusinovich, IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci. 20, 452 (1992).Google Scholar
- O. Dumbrajs and J.A. Heikkinen, ”Fast Frequency-Step-Tunable Gyrotrons for Plasma Heating and Fusion Diagnostics”, 11th Topical Meeting on the Technology of Fusion Energy, June 19–23, 1994, New Orleans, to be published in Fusion Technology.Google Scholar
- T. Idehara, T. Tatsukawa, I. Ogawa, Y. Shimizu, Y. Yamagishi, S. Makino, K. Ichikawa, and T. Kanemaki, ”Development of Submillimeter Wave Gyrotrons”, LASM-5, Fukui University, Japan, August, 1993.Google Scholar
- O.B. Smolyakova, E.V. Suvorov, and A.A. Frayman, Fizika Plazmy 14, 20 (1988).Google Scholar