Symbolic space determinations on physical limitations
- 31 Downloads
In the quest for the determination of the physical limitations imposed on computing (Bledsoe, 1961; Bremermann, 1962; Ligomenides, 1967, 1968; Keyes and Landauer, 1970; Keyes, 1975), unless we introduce basic considerations relating to such things as the computing philosophy and methodology employed, the encoding and translation languages, and techniques, and the question of computability and intractability, our investigation limits itself to pursuit of outer bounds on energy, time, and spacing requirements for the transfer storage and processing of two-state signal quanta, rather than dealing with bounds on processing information which is specially encoded for computation. It seems that limitations imposed in the symbolic space precede by several orders of magnitude those in the energy space.
KeywordsField Theory Processing Information Elementary Particle Quantum Field Theory Physical Limitation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bledsoe, W. W. (1961). “A Basic Limitation on the Speed of Digital Computers,”Transactions of the IRE,EC-10(3), p. 530.Google Scholar
- Bremermann, H. (1962). “Limits on Data Processing Arising from Quantum Theory,”Self Organizing Systems Proceedings. Spartan Books, Washington, D.C., p. 93.Google Scholar
- Keyes, R. W. (1975). “Physical Limits in Digital Electronics,”Proceedings of the IEEE,63(5), 740–767.Google Scholar
- Keyes, R. W., and Landauer, R. (1970). “Minimal Energy Dissipation in Logic,”IBM Journal of Research and Development,14, 152, 1970.Google Scholar
- Landauer, R. (1981). “Fundamental Physical Limitations of Computational Process,”Conf. Proc. Noise in Physical Systems, Washington, D.C. April 6–10, 1981.Google Scholar
- Ligomenides, P. A. (1981). “An Engineering-Cybernetic Model for Policy Analysis and Implementation,”Proc. Int'l. Conf. on Policy Analysis and Information Systems, Taiwan, August 19–22, 1981. Also to be published inInternational Journal of PAIS.Google Scholar
- Ligomenides, P. A. (1967). “Wave-Mechanical Uncertainty and Speed Limitations,”IEEE Spectrum,4(2), 65–68.Google Scholar
- Ligomenides, P. A. (1968). “Wave-Mechanical Limitations on Information Retrieval Rate,”Proceedings of the IREE (Australia),29(3), 65–70.Google Scholar
- Zadeh, L. A. (1968). “Fuzzy Algorithms,”Information and Control,12, 94–102.Google Scholar