A method of analyzing polymodal distributions in orientation data
- 38 Downloads
A method of cluster analysis for orientation data is described. The method enables vector statistics to be applied to polymodal distributions. Similar results to those found by modal analysis are obtained.
Key wordscluster analysis data processing orientation data statistics structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Parks, J. M., 1966, Cluster analysis applied to multivariate geologic problems: Jour. Geology, v. 74, no. 5, pt. 2, p. 703–715.Google Scholar
- Phillips, F. C., 1960, The use of stereographic projection in structural geology: Edward Arnold, Ltd., London, 86 p.Google Scholar
- Pincus, H. J., 1953, The analysis of aggregates of orientation data in the earth sciences: Jour. Geology, v. 61, no. 6, p. 482–509.Google Scholar
- Schuenemeyer, J. H., Koch, G. S., and Link, R. F., 1972, Computer program to analyze directional data, based on the methods of Fisher and Watson: Jour. Math. Geology, v. 4, no. 3, p. 177–202.Google Scholar
- Sokal, R. R., and Michener, C. D., 1958, A statistical method for evaluating systematic relationships: Kansas Univ. Sci. Bull., v. 38, pt. 2, no. 22, p. 1409–1438.Google Scholar
- Steinmetz, R., 1962, Analysis of vectorial data: Jour. Sed. Pet., v. 32, no. 4, p. 801–812.Google Scholar
- Watson, G. S., 1965, Equatorial distributions on a sphere: Biometrika, v. 52, p. 193–201.Google Scholar