Changes in T1 relaxation processes in the bone marrow following treatment in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- 51 Downloads
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and T1 relaxation time measurements of the vertebral bone marrow were performed in 11 children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) at diagnosis. Nine of the children were re-examined after chemotherapeutic treatment. The results were compared with histological data from bone marrow biopsies obtained in close association to the MR examinations. Ten age matched children were examined as a control group. A 1.5 Tesla whole body scanner was used for the measurements. The pretreatment T1 relaxation times of the bone marrow were significantly prolonged, compared to the age matched controls. After chemotherapy the T1 relaxation times of the children with ALL decreased significantly towards or into the normal range. A significant correlation was found between the T1 relaxation time and the content of malignant blast cells in the bone marrow.
KeywordsBone Marrow Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Lymphoblastic Leukemia Bone Marrow Biopsy Blast Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Henkelman RM, Messner H, Poon PY, Hinks RS, Stewart C, Curtis J, Minden M, Baker M (1988) Magnetic resonance imaging for monitoring relapse of acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia Res 12: 811Google Scholar
- 14.Thomsen C, Jensen KE, Jensen M, Olsen ER, Henriksen O (1990) MR pulse sequences for selective relaxation time measurements. A phantom study. Magn Reson Imaging 8 (in press)Google Scholar
- 16.Siegal S, Castellan NJ (1988) Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nyman R, Rehn S, Glimelius B, Hagberg H, Hemmingsson A, Jung B, Simonsson B, Sundström C (1987) Magnetic resonance imaging in diffuse malignant bone marrow diseases. Acta Radiol 28: 201Google Scholar
- 21.Podo F (1988) Tissue characterization by MRI: a multidisciplinary and multi-centre challenge today. Editorial. Magn Reson Imaging 6: 173Google Scholar
- 22.Jensen KE, Jensen M, Olsen ER, Thomsen C, Grundtvig P, Karle H, Henriksen O (1988) In vivo measurements of fat and water relaxation processes in human haematopoietic bone marrow by localized proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Abstract. Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Meeting of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine p 311Google Scholar
- 24.Roberts MM, Juttner CA, Bik To L, Kimber RJ (1988) Bone Marrow biopsy during induction chemotherapy for acute myeloid leukaemia identifies only 50% of patients with resistant disease. Leukemia Res 12: 817Google Scholar