57Fe and57Co Mössbauer study of suppression of superconductivity in PrBa2Cu3O7−d
57Fe and57Co Mössbauer spectroscopy and X-ray diffractometry were used to study57Fe- and57Co-substituted PrBa2Cu3O7−d samples. Our most striking result is that the isomer shifts belonging to both Co and Fe at four- and five-coordinated Cu(1) sites in the PrBa2Cu3O7−d cuprate are significantly higher than those observed for the superconducting 1-2-3 compounds. This result is considered as being a consequence of suppression of superconductivity because the extra electrons from Pr fill in the holes in Cu-O planes due to the valence state of Pr higher than 3+ and due to hybridization of Pr-Cu-O orbitals, via the charge transfer mechanism between the Cu(2)-O planes and Cu(1)-O chains. Our results give evidence of the existence of the charge transfer mechanism between the planes and the chains, and of its important role in controlling the superconductivity with a charge reservoir behavior of the Cu(1)-O chains.
KeywordsSpectroscopy Thin Film Charge Transfer Valence State Isomer Shift
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I. Nowik, M. Kowitt, I. Felner and E.R. Bauminger, Phys. Rev. B38(1988)6677.Google Scholar
- Z. Tomkowicz, J. Zukrowski, J. Prevoznik, A. Szytula, M. Balanda and A. Bajorek, Physica C184(1991)244.Google Scholar
- E. Kuzmann, Z. Homonnay, S. Nagy, M. Gál and A. Vértes,ISIAME '92, Nucl. Instr. Meth. B76(1993)328.Google Scholar
- Z. Homonnay, E. Kuzmann, M. Gál, S. Nagy, A. Vértes, L. Pöppl, A. Nath and Gy. Vankó, Physica C209(1993)137.Google Scholar
- Z. Homonnay, A. Nath, Y. Wei and T. Jiang, Physica C174(1991)223.Google Scholar
- I.S. Lyubutin, V.K. Terziev, E.M. Smirnovskaya and A.Ya. Shapiro, Physica C169(1990)361.Google Scholar
- E. Kuzmann, S. Nagy, Z. Homonnay, A. Vértes, I. Halász, M. Gál, B. Csákvári, K. Torkos, J. Bánkuti, I. Kirschner, Y. Wei and A. Nath, Struct. Chem. 2(1991)267.Google Scholar
- S.K. Malik, C.V. Tomy and P. Bhargava, Phys. Rev. B44(1991)7042.Google Scholar
- M. Guillaume, P. Allenspach, J. Mesot, B. Roessli, U. Staub, P. Fischer and A. Furrer, Z. Phys., in press.Google Scholar
- R.J. Cava, Science 247(1990)652.Google Scholar
- H. Maletta, Physica C169(1990)371.Google Scholar
- A.A. Moolenaar, P.C.M. Gubbens, J.-J. van Loef, M.J.V. Menken and A.A. Menovsky, these Proceedings, Hyp. Int.Google Scholar