Highly sensitive fluorescence microscope system for single biological cell using laser excitation and digital image processing and display
- 27 Downloads
A novel type of laser-excited fluorescence microscope system is reported, which, for the first time, realizes excellent sensitivity and spatial resolution in biological and medical applications using an ultra-high sensitivity image camera and digital image processing technique for three-dimensional display of the detected fluorescence intensity across a single cell. Experimental studies are also presented on the fluorescence intensity distribution of Rhodamine 6G adsorbed in an OH gel as a simple cell model and also of a hematoporphyrin-derivative (HpD) taken up by a cultured esophagus cancer cell.
KeywordsFluorescence Intensity Rhodamine Image Camera Digital Image Processing Image Processing Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. BOTTIROLI, G. PRENNA, A. ANDREONI, C. A. SACCHI and O. SVELTO.Photochem. Photobiol. 29 (1979) 23.Google Scholar
- 2.M. W. BERNS, J. AIST, J. EDWARDS, K. STRAHS, J. GIRTON, P. McNEILL, J. B. RATTNER, M. KITZES, M. HAMMER-WILSON, L.-H. LIAW, A. SIEMENS, M. KOONCE, S. PETERSON, S. BRENNER, J. BURT, R. WALTER, P. J. BRYANT, D. VAN DYK, J. COULOMBE, T. CAHILL and G. S. BERNS,Science 213 (1981) 505.Google Scholar
- 3.F. DOCCHIO, R. RAMPONI, C. A. SACCHI, G. BOTTIROLI and I. FREITAS,Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2 (1982) 21.Google Scholar
- 4.S. SATO and H. INABA,J. Spectrosc. Soc. Jpn 32 (1983) 341 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 5.S. SATO, S. KIKUCHI and H. INABA,J. Jpn Soc. Laser Med. 4 (1984) 53.Google Scholar
- 6.T. J. DOUGHERTY, G. LAWRENCE, J. H. KAUFMAN, D. BOYLE, K. R. WEISHAUPT and A. GOLDFARB,J. Natn. Cancer Inst. 62 (1979) 231.Google Scholar
- 7.Y. HAYATA, H. KATO, C. KONAKA, J. ONO and N. TAKIZAWA,Chest 81 (1982) 269.Google Scholar
- 8.Y. HAYATA and T. J. DOUGHERTY (eds.), ‘Lasers and Hematoporphyrin Derivative in Cancer’ (Igaku-Shoin, Tokyo, 1983).Google Scholar