Characteristics of millimeter wave detection in a Fabry-Perot resonator using a YBCO-BiO composite superconductor
A quasioptical technique with a hemispherical-type Fabry-Perot resonator for measuring characteristics of millimeter wave detection using a YBCO-BiO composite superconductor has been successfully developed. This Fabry-Perot resonator consists of a spherical mirror and a plane mirror mounted on the cold head of the refrigerator, under a controlled temperature of 40 to 300 K. The method offers the advantages of estimating irradiation power, easily controlling the sample temperature, analyzing the mode of the irradiated millimeter waves and easily extending to higher frequencies. The superconducting millimeter wave detector has been measured with this technique, with measured sensitivities of 46.5 V/W (70 K) to 160 V/W (35 K) at 50 GHz. These results are close to the theoretical values calculated numerically from the characteristics of the detector. It was confirmed that the millimeter wave detection system using the Fabry-Perot resonator is suitable for estimating the sensitivity of the high-Tc superconducting millimeter wave detector.
Key wordssuperconductor radiation detector millimeter wave Fabry-Perot resonator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Y. Takimoto and M. Kotaki, MWE'92 Microwave Workshop Digest, Japan, pp. 313–318 (1992).Google Scholar
- (2).J. P. Hong, T. W. Kim, H. R. Fetterman, A. H. Cardona and L. C. Bourne, Appl. Phys. Lett. 59, 991 (1991).Google Scholar
- (3).J. P. Hong, H. R. Fetterman, R. J. Forse and A. H. Cardona, Appl. Phys. Lett. 62, 2865 (1993).Google Scholar
- (4).K. Niki, M. Takai, T. Ikemachi, S. Yoshikawa, Y. Yoshisato and S. Nakano, The 3rd Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf. Proc., Australia, pp. 115–118 (1992).Google Scholar
- (5).Y. Yoshisato, A. Takeoka, T. Ikemachi, K. Niki, T. Yokoo, S. Nakao and K. Kuwano, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29, 1080 (1990).Google Scholar
- (6).J. S. Martens, V. M. Hietala, D. S. Ginley and T. E. Zipperian, Appl. Phys. Lett. 58, 2543 (1991).Google Scholar
- (7).C. L. Bertin and K. Rose, J. Appl. Phys. 42, 631 (1971).Google Scholar