Design of a 1-MW, CW coaxial gyrotron with two gaussian beam outputs
The design of a 170 GHz, 1 MW-CW gyrotron for electron cyclotron heating of nuclear fusion plasmas is presented. The designed gyrotron incorporates a coaxial cavity to reduce mode competition, and a coaxial electron gun to support the cavity inner conductor. A new mode converter splits the generated wave into two beams and radiates them in different directions. The radiated beams are transmitted to two output windows through two mirror systems, being transformed into Gaussian-like beams. A single-stage depressed collector improves the overall efficiency of the gyrotron and reduces the heat flux to the collector surface.
Key wordsgyrotron coaxial cavity dual output mode converter depressed collector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. V. Agapova, L. A. Axenova, V. V. Alikaev, A. P. Cayer, G. G. Denisov, V. A. Flyagin, A. Sh. Fix, V. I. Llijin, V. N. Ilyin, V. A. Khmara, A. N. Kostyna, A. N. Kuftin, V. E. Mjasnikov, L. G. Popov and V. E. Zapevalov, "Long-Pulsed 140 GHz/0.5 MW Gyrotron: Problems and Results," Conf. Digest of 19th Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 1994, pp. 79–80.Google Scholar
- K. Felch, T. S. Chu, J. Feinstein, H. Huey, H. Jory, J. Neilson and R. Schumacher, "Long-Pulse Operation of a Gyrotron with Beam/RF Separation," Conf. Digest of 17th Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 1992, pp. 184–185.Google Scholar
- K. Sakamoto, M. Tsuneoka, A. Kasugai, S. Maebara, H. Fujita, T. Imai, T. Kariya, Y. Okazaki, K. Hayashi, Y. Mitsunaka, Y. Hirata, "Development of 110 GHz CPD Gyrotron," Conf. Digest of 19th Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 1994, pp. 63–64.Google Scholar
- S. N. Vlasov, L. I. Zagryadskaya and I. M. Orlova, "Open coaxial resonators for gyrotrons," Radio Eng. and Electron. Phys., 21(5), 1976, pp. 96–102.Google Scholar
- J. J. Barroso and R. A. Correa, "Coaxial resonator for a 1 MW, 280 GHz gyrotron," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 12, 1991, pp. 717–728.Google Scholar
- T. Yamamoto, K. Yokokura, A. Kasugai, K. Sakamoto, M. Tsuneoka and T. Nagashima, "Development of Cryogenic Window for High Power Millimeter Wave," Conf. Digest of 17th Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 1992, pp. 460–461.Google Scholar
- M. N. Afsar, H. Chi and X. Li, "Millimeter Wave Complex Refractive Index, Complex Dielectric Permittivity and Loss Tangent of High Purity and Compensated Silicon," CPEM '90 Digest, pp. 238–239.Google Scholar
- Y. Hirata, Y. Mitsunaka, K. Hayashi, Y. Itoh and T. Sugawara, "Design of a 1MW-CW Coaxial Gyrotron with Two Gaussian Beam Outputs,", Conf. Digest of 19th Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 1994, pp. 71–72.Google Scholar
- Y. Mitsunaka, Y. Hirata, K. Hayashi, Y. Itoh, T. Sugawara, "Formation of dual Gaussian output beams in a volume-mode gyrotron," Conf. Digest of 19th Int. Conf. on Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 1994, pp. 287–288.Google Scholar
- G. G. Denisov, A. N. Kuftin, V. I. Malygin, N. P. Venediktov, D. V. Vinogradov, V. E. Zapevalov, "110 GHz gyrotron with a built-in high-efficiency converter," Int. J. Electronics, 1992, pp. 1079–1091.Google Scholar
- J. J. Barroso, R. A. Correa, "Design of a TE42,7 coaxial cavity for a 1 MW, 280 GHz gyrotron," Intl. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 13, 1992, pp. 443–455.Google Scholar
- B. G. Danly, R. J. Temkin, "Generalized nonlinear harmonic gyrotron theory," Phys. Fluids, 29, 1986, pp. 561–567.Google Scholar