Radioactivity of teeth in the follow-up of old contamination cases
- 37 Downloads
The activity of plutonium and americium has been measured in teeth from two persons involved in an incident 25 years ago at Eurochemic. Assuming that the alpha activity of the teeth is representative of the activity of the skeleton an estimate of the systemic body burden is given and compared to the value obtained from the late urinary excretion using the Leggett-Eckerman excretion model. The results are compared with some data from US Transuranium and Uranium Registries.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Uranium Urinary Excretion Plutonium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Alderhout, W. Hunzinger, A case of plutonium inhalation, in: Radiation Protection Problems Relating to Transuranium Elements. Proc. Symp. held at Karlsruhe, 21–25 September 1970. Edited by The Commission of the European Communities, Luxembourg, 1971, p. 259.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Alderhout, Assessment of radioactive contamination in man. Proc. Symp. on Assessment of Radioactive Organ and Body Burdens, organised by the IAEA and the WHO and held in Stockholm, 22–26 November 1971, IAEA-SM-150/4, IAEA, 1972, p. 635.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Lafuma, J. C. Nenot, M. Morin, Assessment of radioactive contamination in man. Proc. Symp. on Assessment of Radioactive Organ and Body Burdens, organised by the IAEA and the WHO and held in Stockholm, 22–26 November 1971, IAEA-SM-150/55, IAEA, 1972, p. 235.Google Scholar
- 4.R. E. Toohey, Biokinetics of bone-seeking radionuclides, in: Internal Radiation Dosimetry,O. G. Raabe (Ed.), Health Physics Summer School, Madison, WI: Medical Physics Publishing, 1994, p. 197.Google Scholar
- 7.ICRP, Limits for Intakes of Radionuclides by Workers, ICRP Publication 30, Vol. 2, No. 1/4, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.ICRP, Individual Monitoring for Intakes of Radionuclides by Workers: Design and Interpretation, ICRP Publication 54, Vol. 19, No. 1-3, 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.J. A. B. Gibson, A. Alvarez, A. Andrasi, W. P. Battersby, A. Birchall, C. Chevalier, J. P. Culot, A. Espinosa, C. Hurtgen, I. Malatova, J. W. Marsh, R. S. Pillips, J. Piechowski, G. A. Roberts, P. Stewart, A second European laboratories intercomparison of methods used for the assessment of intakes of internally deposited radionuclides. Submitted to the European Commission and to Radiation Protection Dosimetry for publication (1996).Google Scholar
- 10.R. L. Kathren, L. A. Harwick, M. J. Markel, United States Transuranium and Uranium Registries, Annual Report October 1, 1994–September 30, 1995, Washington State University, USTUR-0049-1995.Google Scholar
- 11.ICRP, Basic Anatomical and Physiological Data for Use in Radiological Protection: The Skeleton, ICRP Publication 70, Vol. 25, No. 2, 1995.Google Scholar