As an application of the projectile fragmentation in high-energy heavy-ion collisions, use of the unstable nuclei as secondary nuclear beams is discussed. Results of the test experiment of secondary beam line at the Bevalac (LBL, Berkeley) is described. Clean beams of He and Li isotopes were produced with reasonable intensity. A plan of a proposed experiment, which uses the unstable nuclear beam to determine radii of unstable nuclear isotopes through a measurement of interaction cross sections, is shown.
KeywordsThin Film Test Experiment Beam Line Interaction Cross Section Secondary Beam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.J.M. Symons, Y.P. Viyogi, G.D. Westfall, P. Doll, D.E. Greiner, H. Faraggi, H.J. Crawford and C. McPorland, Phys. Rev. Lett. 42(1979)40.Google Scholar
- D.E. Greiner, P.J. Lindstrom, H.H. Heckman, B. Cork and F.S. Bieser, Phys. Rev. Lett. 35(1975)152.Google Scholar
- A.S. Goldhaber, Phys. Lett. 53B(1974)306.Google Scholar
- H.R. Collard, L.R.B. Elton and R. Hofstadter, eds.,Nuclear Radii, H Schopper, Landolt-Bornstein, New Series, Group 1, Vol. 2 (Springer, 1969).Google Scholar
- G.D. Alkhazov et al. Nucl. Phys. A274(1976)443;Google Scholar
- [5a]A. Chanmeaux, V. Layly and R. Schaffer, Ann. of Phys. 116(1978)247.Google Scholar
- H.J. Emrich et al., 4th Int. Conf. on Nuclei Far from Stability, 1981.Google Scholar
- E.W. Otten, Nucl. Phys. A354(1981)471c.Google Scholar
- J. Bonn, G. Huber, H.-J. Kluge, V. Kope, L. Kugler, E.W. Otten and J. Rodriguez, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 34, Suppl. (1973)317.Google Scholar
- H. Hamagaki, O. Hashimoto, T. Kobayashi, Y. Shida, K. Sugimoto, I. Tanihata, N. Yoshikawa, S. Nagamiya, N. Takahashi, O. Yamakawa, H. Crawford, D. Greiner and P. Lindstrom, Proposal to Bevalac experiment (E690H) 1983.Google Scholar
- H.H. Heckman, D.E. Greiner, P.J. Lindstrom and H. Shwe, Phys. Rev. C17(1978)1735.Google Scholar
- J. Jaros, A. Wagner, L. Anderson, O. Chamberlain, R.Z. Fuzesy, J. Gallup, W. Gorn, L. Schroeder, S. Shannon, G. Shapiro and H. Steiner, Phys. Rev. C18(1978)2273.Google Scholar
- H. Sato and I. Tanihata, private communication.Google Scholar