Geochemistry of Holocene and late Pleistocene soils in the Rouge River and Scarborough Bluffs areas, South-Central Ontario, Canada
- 45 Downloads
Concentrations of major, minor and trace elements were measured in four soil profiles from south-central Ontario. The mean concentration values reported are probably representative of elemental levels in soils formed from sediments reworked by lacustrine and fluvial processes and weathered over the last 12 000 years. The older soils in the sequence (R12, R15 and BRIM1) show declining Na, K, and Al, mainly from Ca dilution, especially in the lower horizons. Iron and Mg levels were not affected by the variations in the Ca concentrations. Arsenic, Br, and Sb concentrations did not increase appreciably in surface A horizons, indicating no measurable airfall influx of industrial pollutants. The relative increase in Mn/Al in the lower horizons of the older soils may be related to leaching by soil or ground water movement.
KeywordsIron Physical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Arsenic Geochemistry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. A. MCKEAGUE, M. S. WOLYNETZ, Geoderma 24 (1980) 299.Google Scholar
- 2.W. C. MAHANEY, Geogr. Phys. Outern. 39 (1985) 307.Google Scholar
- 3.W. C. MAHANEY, K. SANMUGADAS, Geogr. Phys. Quatern., 40 (1986) 207.Google Scholar
- 4.Canada Soil Survey Comittee, Soils of Canada. Vol. 1, Agric. Can., 1977, p. 243.Google Scholar
- 5.P. W. BIRKELAND, Soils and Geomorphology, New York, oxford Univ. Press, 1984, p. 372.Google Scholar
- 6.J. M. HODSON (Ed.), Soil Survey Field Handbook. Soil Survey Technical Monograph, No. 5, Rotharmsted Exper. Station, Hargenden, U.K., 1976, p. 99.Google Scholar
- 7.R. G. V. HANCOCK, Archaeometry 26, 1984, 210.Google Scholar
- 8.W. C. MAHANEY, R. G. V. HANCOCK, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 131 (1989) 289.Google Scholar
- 9.B. G. TRIGGER, L. YAFFE, M. DIKSIC, J.-L. GALINIER, H. MARSHALL, J. F. PENDERGAST, Can. J. Archaeol., 4 (1980) 119.Google Scholar
- 10.G. R. GUILLET, The clay products industry of Ontario, Industrial Mineral Report 22, Ontario Department of Mines, 1967, p. 206.Google Scholar